What's new
What's new

Mobil Vactra #2 Shortage??

Modern wussy!

High-sulfur stinky-brown - familiar as bacon, eggs, and buttered biskit off an Oh-dark-thirty start, sweaty-ass and stinkier-yet steel-toad boots comin off another ball-bustin' third-shift mornin'...and "wheels" not "end" mills, thanks.. or you ain't no MILL HAND!

I must 'ha been some sort of idiot to trade all that for Company BMW, First-Class air, five star lodging?

...or maybe not?

:D

Ain't got nothing on the original buttercutt...smelled like fried chicken when ya got it smokin.

A 5 gallon bucket is now $288 on MSC. a little price gouging going on. I remember when it was $55 for 5 gallons.

Ha- moldcore- was just going to comment on the $288.00 MSC price. WTF?? might as well go buy it from Fastenal- probably only $300 from them!! Its not even worth opening the MSC catalog or website anymore unless you want a laugh!!

again... it's obtuse to think that because mobil paid MT makers to print "Vactra" on the
legend that nothing else will work in the same parameters . i've been using Chevron Vistac
for the past 8 years. in manual and cnc machinery. works fine . doesn't contaminate coolant
sumps . cost is usually 65-70 percent of Vactra . wife says it smells better in my hair....

I always recommended to customers that any "brand name" lubricant or coolant would do ok. So if Mobile way oil isn't around, Shell, Chevron, or any of the big names would suffice.

What oils did you use, and what happened to the machines? I'd rather not repeat anything bad that happened to you.

It was a knock off brand. the tackifier they used clogged up my meter units on 3 mattison grinders. We had to clean the lube system and rescrap the tables.

Great catch! Thanks!

Annnd just a few posts down, 60% of the product was going into the heavy-duty printing industry, not machine tools?

Mobile Vactra 2

"PM at work, doing what PM does best!"

Repeating history will continue until the economic beatings are voted-in as the better deal.

:)

Ah, now this is VERY interesting. and it makes sense about the printing industry, since you can now get playboy online why buy in print.......

The story I heard about the change as well from when Mobil took the tackifier out of Vactra 2 and created Vacouline 1409 int he early/mid 2000's was one of the large Japan machine tool manufactures wanted to use the Vactra 2 name, but with no tackifier.

We did have issues as well with Stick/Slip at this time. The Mobil rep came in and said, oh yes, we forgot to mention you need to change oil to Vaculine 1409/1419 as we took the tackifier out and did not send that memo out. Remember now the old Vactra 4 is now 1419.

Up to these recent issue about Vactra 2 shortage, it does seem regional. to the south we can get it, but, I have to go thru another shop to buy it. It is nice to be friends with other shops as they will buy for me, and not mark up. When needed, I always return the favors.

It was a knock off brand. the tackifier they used clogged up my meter units on 3 mattison grinders. We had to clean the lube system and rescrap the tables.

Now that's not really comparing apples to apples eh ?
Compare Mobil to Shell, Cheveron, Castrol, etc.
I know Shell has a tech line, and would be happy to cross ref you to their oil,
You can even explain your problems, and what to watch out for.

I'm sure the other major brands doo as well.

Shell TONNA oil V 68

IIRC this was recommended because of a lower sulfur content, and thus less ... biology
It is a lighter honey color.

The factory oil in my Robodrills was like that and TONNA oil V68 was recommended.
No problems or issues in 16 years.

Extended Product Description:
This product is now available under its new name SHELL TONNA OIL S2 MX 68

why would box ways need no tackifier? they can be vertical too.

If they are hardened, the mfg's all state standard 68 wt oil, Vactra 2 or equivilant.

But all the old skool cast iron way machines, you will want to use oil with a tackifier.

interesting. whats the reason behind it? it seems that "natural sticktion" would be better on a scraped surface.

Current price for Vactra 2 is stupid expensive. However, there is no substitute, In over 40 years of servicing and building precision machine tools I have never had a lubrication related failure using Mobil products. Alternatively, I repair a lot of gear shaper guides and indexing worm wheels using alternate product. I also entrust Mobil racing oils to protect my classic, Roush built side oiler that has seen it's share of extended, 160 MPH runs.

Those freakin' advertising "newspapers" from the supermarts and Big Box, to Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, me late Mum's clothing suppliers, Wife's department stores, pizza parlours, window and roofing and lawn services..the so-called "local newspaper", plus all manner of other slicker paper "catalogs" showing up invited or otherwise is where I see the printing industry ... clogging up my bleedin' recycling load-out, unread, the lot of 'em.

And then there is pulp fiction and special interest group slick magazines for the custom knives best suited only to left-handed redheads with different tats than the magazine adjacent with frog gigs for right handed blond vegetarians or various tribes and races of motor vehicles and firearms all over the racks AT the supermart.. let alone actual bookstores, online or brick and mortar.

Go figure there was ever any shortage of adverhooring in "Playboy", either... ??

Or so the grownups whispered at the time.

Nah. Internet ain't kilt printing industry dead YET.

May have enhanced it as they feed off each other, actually?

Mayhap I shudda bought stock in the paper recycling industry?

:(
P

Back