What's new
What's new

Model K-13 Cross Slide Autofeed Handle

Fergie13

Plastic
New guy to the forum…

I just purchased a Monarch Model K-13 from HGR in Euclid, OH. When I purchased it, the pics show everything intact, but when I went to pick it up, the half nut and cross slide auto feed handles were broken off. My guess is either they hit it with their forks, or got lifting straps/chains caught on them. They moved the lathe out of the warehouse before I got there, so I didn’t see it happen.

They owned up to it, and compensated me for the damage. Even though I got some cash for the damage, I still need to repair them. I was able to find the broken half nut handle, and it should be easy enough to braise back together. I was unable to find the cross feed handle, but a guy from another machining group loaned me his old worn shaft for the cross slide feed, and I’ll use that to machine a new shaft. The handle is identical to the longitudinal feed handle, so in theory I should be able to make a new one.

My question is if anyone has a handle for a model K lathe they could sell me? That would save me the hassle of making one.

Thanks.

I've got a halfnut handle from 16cy. 3/4" bore I'll bet it the same one. $20 plus shipping. PM
if you're interested. Wish I had the cross feed handle but it's gone already.
halfnut handle 1.jpghalfnut handle 2.jpg

They used that style feed clutch handle for years and years - and it has a simple block in it. Exactly the same assy as the longitudinal feed. What you WILL have to fix is what holds that stuff on the apron

Here they are as assemblies

Attachments

• Monarch Feed Clutches.jpg
    Monarch Feed Clutches.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
They used that style feed clutch handle for years and years - and it has a simple block in it. Exactly the same assy as the longitudinal feed. What you WILL have to fix is what holds that stuff on the apron

Here they are as assemblies
That’s a good point. So far I’ve been searching for the lever based on ”model k”, but I should be able to broaden the search by making it more general.

As for the shaft, I plan on making a new one. As mentioned, a machinist in another drum was very generous in loaning me his old shaft which has some spots of wear, but is in good enough shape to still make a detailed print from. That way I only have to tear up the apron once to repair. As long as the cone clutch is not engaged, I should be able to use the lathe without the cross slide auto feed.

I should be able to use the longitude feed handle as a model and make a new one, but I’d rather just buy one if it’s available.

Back