What's new
What's new

Moderately priced 4th axis?

Liberty_Machine

Aluminum
I'm looking at adding a 4th axis to my Kitamura MyCenter 3XD. Something with an 8" table, 150/160mm center height (if need be, a riser could get me there), decent clamping torque (off center mill/drilling). It does need to be an integrated 4th, as the chance of catastrophe is quite high with some of my employees..
I've gotten prices on Koma, and should have pricing on Kitagawa today. I've not sought out Nikken, but I expect them to be higher than the other two I've mentioned.

I'm not in a huge rush for one, but would like a solution by early March.

So, what have you fine folks seen and what are your best/worst experiences? Not looking to pinch pennies, also not looking to throw extra money at Option A when Option C get's me 80-90% of the way there

If a Brother 4th could work then there would be no reason to look else where. Price is good and it's a roller drive.
The Brother rotary only works on Brother machines. The Yukiwa rotaries are great, not sure about install/support on Kit with Mits. I think the brands you mentioned (Koma, Kitagawa, Nikken...) should get you where you want to be. My suggestion is check with Kit and see who they recommend and if any options or hardware is required from them. Any rotary you consider I would ask if they have installed on your type of machine before and ask for references. I would not want to be the beta tester for someone.

Another vote for Tsudakoma. I've had two RWE 4th axis and two RTT-111 5-axis tables and they have all been flawless. If you are just doing positioning go with the RWE instead of the heavier models. Most of them are the same casting and bearing with the heavier models using a bigger worm screw. With the brake on there won't be any difference.

A feature I would look for is one with a pressurized gear box. I had a yuasa that came with a machine ( don’t recommend) and it had coolant in it. I have a Yukiwa that came with a Brother mill I bought. The machine had been used hard but the oil in the 4th was nice and clean. This one has compressed air purge. My other Brother machine has the Brother roller 4th and this summer I bought the $500 bucket of oil they recommend for it and changed the oil. It had a slight trace of coolant cloudiness in it. I don’t think it’s air purged.

I've had zero trouble with a Koma(Tsudakoma) 200 (8"). Having said that I use an Erickson 600 air indexer 20X more often than the 4th axis - much easier setup and cleanup,

Back