What's new
What's new

Modern Vise Options for VMC

We just introduced a 12" self centering vise that you may want to look at. It's considerably less expensive than our larger vises since they are smaller and are on promo. They can convert to fixed single station and dual station in under a minute. They're on our website under the Black Friday tab.

I am curious about everyone's thoughts one using these in 3 axis setup. I have been thinking about a pair of 4" vises for prototype/low volume 3 axis work. Waiting to hear pricing on the single and dual conversions.

Pricing appears very pretty good at $775 for the 12" versions with 8" clamping capacity. The ability to convert to a single and dual setups seems to be a big advantage. This is a smaller footprint than a Kurt 4" vise that has 6.5".

Twinspool asked about mounting these on a traditional 3 axis setup as there are no side slots or through holes. I have the same question and don't have a lot of need for quick mounting and unmounting. I would certainly take it if was reasonably priced and didn't eat up too much Z. Most my parts are small and I would generally hold a small pallet in the vise if a pallet is suitable.

What does everyone think about using these as an alternative to something like Kurt 4" vises?

I do just that, works great

The dovetail can hold pretty significant overhang, and the fixed center vises are extremely repeatable for 2nd OP work in soft jaws

You are correct you need a way to hold it, these all have Orange's proprietary ball lock system, works with their subplates. I am using everytning in single station configurations but will probably acquire the conversion kits at some point

I went and had them add the 52mm pull stud pattern and use them with zero point plates on my 3axis table and 4th axis rotary as I plan to use automated zero point systems with palletized robotic loading in the future

Twinspool asked about mounting these on a traditional 3 axis setup as there are no side slots or through holes. I have the same question and don't have a lot of need for quick mounting and unmounting. I would certainly take it if was reasonably priced and didn't eat up too much Z. Most my parts are small and I would generally hold a small pallet in the vise if a pallet is suitable.

These vises are selectively hardened on the rails and bottom surface. The internals are not hardened and can be machined.

Two counterbored holes in the "web" of the C-channel should do the trick. A counterbored plug that we sell separately can add a third screw right down the middle.

These vises are selectively hardened on the rails and bottom surface. The internals are not hardened and can be machined.

Two counterbored holes in the "web" of the C-channel should do the trick. A counterbored plug that we sell separately can add a third screw right down the middle.

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I see you added the dual station conversion. Is the single station conversion available as well?

Those self centering vises look interesting. And they may provide a larger work envelope than a more traditional milling vise.

When I was purchasing a new milling vise I was concerned about the size. I wasn't sure if I should get 4", 5", or 6". Of course I asked for input and it came back mixed. Mostly in favor of a 5" or 6", but one or two comments favored the 4" size. So I made some full sized, cardboard cutouts and placed them on my mill's table in various mounting positions. What I discovered was that the 6" could not be mounted so that the center-line of the quill was over or even behind the fixed jaw. This was true unless it stuck out the front to an almost dangerous degree. But the 5" did allow the quill to be a bit behind that fixed jaw by enough to allow edge work or work on the rear face, like corner rounding, chamfers, or just plain squaring up. Oh, and the 4" limited the work envelop at the front or movable jaw so it was undersized for my mill.

You can't just say that a 6" is best. On a big mill that may be true, but on many models it can be a real hindrance.

The price of the 5" models was attractive so I purchased two. Money well spent.

Those Orange vises, with both jaws moving, should easily provide a work envelope that is not limited by a fixed rear jaw. That is a big plus. What I do not like is the lack of a fixed reference line that a fixed jaw provides. If you are doing one-offs or small numbers of the same part, you will need to find the rear edge for each new part. Or work from the center line. I am not sure how that fits into a 3 axis CNC.

I am curious about everyone's thoughts one using these in 3 axis setup. I have been thinking about a pair of 4" vises for prototype/low volume 3 axis work. Waiting to hear pricing on the single and dual conversions.

Pricing appears very pretty good at $775 for the 12" versions with 8" clamping capacity. The ability to convert to a single and dual setups seems to be a big advantage. This is a smaller footprint than a Kurt 4" vise that has 6.5".

What does everyone think about using these as an alternative to something like Kurt 4" vises?

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was thinking.

I see you added the dual station conversion. Is the single station conversion available as well?

The single station can use the self centering carrier assembly. Simply unscrew the center anchor bolt to float the carrier, then install a fixed jaw on one side.

We'll provide more info on this in video form shortly.

The single station can use the self centering carrier assembly. Simply unscrew the center anchor bolt to float the carrier, then install a fixed jaw on one side.

We'll provide more info on this in video form shortly.
These are looking very attractive. I would love to see a video of how it all works. Are you able to share how long these are on sale for? I may have to call up and ask a few questions to pick the right one for me.

If you can get "name brand" vises used, it's a practical investment as a well loved Kurt can get tuned up a lot easier than an off-brand or odd-ball vise.
I have four Kurt vises (a pair of 5" and a pair of 3") all bought used (cheapskate hobby machinist here), but the vises are dead simple and unless they are broken, you can probably get anything wrong with them corrected.
I paid less for all four than what a new 4" Kurt would cost.
Of course, both of my sizes are now orphaned and you can't get spare parts.
There's a video on youtube of a guy "correcting" all the issues with a clone.
Guy has to be a hobby guy with too much time on his hands because no professional is going to spend $800 in time fixing a $150 vise and then thinking he's got a Kurt.

Steve

Back