What's new
What's new

Modify Carbide Tool

BOOT

Plastic
Have a tool with carbide tips that attached to a drill to cut pockets and I want to reshape/shorten the cut to make it cut less OD diameter of the pocket. I don't need to remove much just 0.025 off each side.

What would be the best diy way to do this w/o ruining the carbide tips? Simply grind them down with an abrasive cut off wheel or grinder?

It takes a diamond wheel of 120 Gt or finer to make a decent/OK edge on a carbide cutting tool ..and wet helps it grind with no chipping, A smooth-dressed green wheel can sometimes make an OK grind.
Too bad, you did not list your location as someone close might have a diamond wheel.
Small diamond wheels can be had for low prices, likely $15+.
X Avoid electro-plated wheels because the diamond layer is thin.

Last edited:
Planning a re-boot eh ?

WOW I'm glad you don't charge rent, I'd be out so much money all those Years living in your head, rent Free :)

Doesn't this board have an off-topic section? You might wanna make a post there for your fan club, instead of hi-jacking mine. Anyways don't forgot to click the link in my signature. You can go there and dislike my videos or leave me nasty anonymous comments, that'll teach me. I'm tearing up just now thinking bout it!

It takes a diamond wheel of 120 Gt or finer to make a decent/OK edge on a carbide cutting tool ..and wet helps it grind with no chipping, A smooth-dressed green wheel can sometimes make an OK grind.
Too bad, you did not list your location as someone close might have a diamond wheel.
Small diamond wheels can be had for low prices, likely $15+.
X Avoid electro-plated wheels because the diamond layer is thin.

Thx I actually read a bit bout diamond wheels But never hurts to ask, well some places it's more of a hassle now that I rem. Anyways just figured some with EXP might know of a diy round about way. Still $15 isn't that bad and I'm not too cheap. Just why spend a ton of money on a tool you'll use one or twice, got plenty of those LOL

Your right I should and normally do have my location on my profile, I'm near Flint Michigan :)

I do ok sharpening carbide lathe tools with the green grinding wheels. They’re easily available in local stores.

Thx, you mean something like this(just what I found with a quick goolge) https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Abrasi...ba-b5c9-168106c6fb15&pd_rd_i=B00TTX9VEA&psc=1 I read a bit bout silicon carbide grinding wheels as well and actually since my tools are limited compare to the members here, a grinder wheel would prob be more ideal.

Saw one that was 60 grit but figured 120 grit or finer like Michiganbuck said and again I'm not taking off much. Bit by bit n measure till I'm good.

What would be the best diy way to do this w/o ruining the carbide tips? Simply grind them down with an abrasive cut off wheel or grinder?
Just don't use water or anything else to cool down the carbide. You can let it get red hot.
You can use a regular abrasive wheel but it will take longer.

A diamond wheel is so affordable now that to me it's not even a question. The green wheels just do not compare. That said, run the diamond wheel WET, every time, to greatly prolong its life. You'll be surprised how often you find a use for it. It'll grind stone and glass too.

A diamond wheel is so affordable now that to me it's not even a question. The green wheels just do not compare. That said, run the diamond wheel WET, every time, to greatly prolong its life. You'll be surprised how often you find a use for it. It'll grind stone and glass too.

I use a diamond dresser for cleaning my loaded up die grinder stones or reshaping them, also dressing my grinding wheels of course. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3849260162...HSNbIpWLvDs+5fPZAvo5+n5O+3|tkp:Bk9SR_yI2o-4YQ

NO< the first wheel is a plated wheel ..the diamond layer is not very thick and off-hand grinding will quickly wear through the plating in one place.
Plated wheels are good/best for a part with a similar surface as the wheel so one certain place of the wheel surface/plating is not used more than another..and for a shape/form where dressing the form would waste a lot of a standard wheel... and then they should be indicated in on the surface being used to .001 or less, so one side does not wear through first and leave a lot of unusable diamond on the other side.

Good to search for the thickness of the diamond portion.
The description "Plated" might be anything

Last edited:
Stupid question, do they make Diamond grinding bits that I could use in a hand grinder? Like 1/4" shank

OT: (that says "Diamond Coated" is that the same as plated?)
yes .

Point-mounted diamond-coated burrs are made but they are mostly not a fine enough grit for tool sharpening I would guess. I have never tried them for any sharpening.

Last edited:
Also to be clear, I know there was a couple dia wheels suggested/linked from ebay but I got just basic bench grinders and those dia wheel/cup are a 1-1/4 hole. There are bushings, adapters n so on but if I can get something closer to fit a basic grinder w/o too much hassle cost that'd be cool. I don't mind buying some stuff but if I gotta spend to much, why not pay for the job. I do prefer to diy and it may come in handy again, some day if I do get a dia wheel/cup.

Back