What's new
What's new

Modify Carbide Tool

Just don't use water or anything else to cool down the carbide. You can let it get red hot.
You can use a regular abrasive wheel but it will take longer.
:nono:.. never do this. It will be full of thermal cracks.
Green wheels do not grind carbide, they sort of chip it off and do not leave a nice edge.
On a drill type tool nailing runout offhand is going to be difficult. Not sure how you check the tool for size.
I have lots of plated wheels which are only one layer of diamond deep but used only if I need a special form in the wheel.
Here would be finish on a multi tooth API or most are a radius that needs to be put on.
If at end of grind the carbide is hot to your fingers for 10 seconds you have most likely damaged it.
Your mileage may vary.
General purpose dry and wet I'd be in 320 grit and best some type of coolant be it just a spray bottle squirting like mad.
Bob

Yes, I meant the Green silicon carbide wheels. They can be treated nearly the same as aluminum oxide wheels, the dresser only needs to overcome the adhesive bond, not the silicon carbide. I use one of those t shaped things with the diamond grit on the end.

:nono:.. never do this. It will be full of thermal cracks.
Green wheels do not grind carbide, they sort of chip it off and do not leave a nice edge.
On a drill type tool nailing runout offhand is going to be difficult. Not sure how you check the tool for size.
I have lots of plated wheels which are only one layer of diamond deep but used only if I need a special form in the wheel.
Here would be finish on a multi tooth API or most are a radius that needs to be put on.
If at end of grind the carbide is hot to your fingers for 10 seconds you have most likely damaged it.
Your mileage may vary.
General purpose dry and wet I'd be in 320 grit and best some type of coolant be it just a spray bottle squirting like mad.
Bob
Also don't forget, they are known in the state of California to cause cancer.

That comment about the regular abrasive wheel is definitely a no-no if it means an aluminum oxide wheel. That type of wheel will do little more than get the carbide very hot very fast. I'm with Bob on the silicon carbide wheels too. Diamond works so much better it's not funny. Silicon carbide is only just a bit harder than tungsten carbide, so it will cut, but only just, and not nearly as cleanly as diamond. If you use a silicon carbide wheel for tungsten carbide tooling it would be a very good idea to at least use a diamond hone to finish the edge by hand.

Have a tool with carbide tips that attached to a drill to cut pockets and I want to reshape/shorten the cut to make it cut less OD diameter of the pocket. I don't need to remove much just 0.025 off each side.

What would be the best diy way to do this w/o ruining the carbide tips? Simply grind them down with an abrasive cut off wheel or grinder?
To do it right I would send to a tool and cutter grinder. That’s all they do. Google and see if one is near you.

MSC Ind supply used to have good explanations of tooling variations. You might want to look up carbide grinding wheels there? Diamond is best but a green wheel will certainly do even if you are just dealing with a little 4” pedestal grinder or so. Good luck be careful.

MSC Ind supply used to have good explanations of tooling variations. You might want to look up carbide grinding wheels there? Diamond is best but a green wheel will certainly do even if you are just dealing with a little 4” pedestal grinder or so. Good luck be careful.
Finishing fine edge with a green wheel we used a hard wheel, and small infeed cuts so it was more like honing than what we most think of grinding, one can get a fingernail sharp edge greewheeling with the right wheel and set up.

Last edited:
Finishing fine edge with a green wheel we use a hard wheel, and small infeed cuts so it was more like honing than what we most think of grinding, one can get a fingernail sharp edge greewheeling with the right wheel and set up.
I even had one old-timer who said the green wheel edgel was better than the diamond wheel edge.
When you blow up/magnify a diamond ground carbide edge it is surprising how bad most edges are.

Back