What's new
What's new

Monarch 2013-612 problem?

taltexan

Plastic
I have a noise that seems to be coming from behind the front cover plate on the lathe.
I have removed the top cover and can’t find any damaged gears or bearings. With the clutch disengaged is when I can hear it the most. There is nothing turning in the headstock with the clutch disengaged. The noise happens every now and then, it does not sound like a gear clicking more of a thumping noise. With nothing turning I’m not sure what is causing the noise. I clean the headstock last year. I see no signs of metal shavings from gear wear or anything that would indicate bearing failure in the bottom of the headstock case. Any ideas?

It is possible it is coming from the clutch itself. Parts of it are still turning when disengaged. There is a hydraulic pump in the leg if you have a motor in the leg version that could be making noise. Lastly maybe a worn vee belt. These are just guess. Pictures will help and year of manufacture.

I’ve got a video but can’t seem to download it to the site. I’ve checked the hydraulic pump and motor. Replaced the V-belts. year built was 1968. I have not pulled the clutch cover to check for the noise in there. Only hear it at full motor rpm, it doesn’t do it when I spin the motor by hand.

These are great for chasing down noises.
"Link below"
Place the probe on the motor castings near the shaft. Keep moving to different locations until you find it.
Your auto parts store should stock one.
Be careful around the electrical and moving parts.

You may have to use the "Insert Link" Icon to post a video.
Control K , on keyboard.
jlegge knows these lathes well. Former Monarch employee. Check the clutch

Last edited:
So if it stops when you engage the clutch thats when the belts have load put on them. Im guessing A1 belts.
I would replace the belts. While they are off the pullys turn and check for side wiggle in pullys. That one belt is flopping a little.
I dont know the mechanics of the clutch but jlegge does. I could imagine something loose in the clutch mechanism when disengaged.
Is the handle that engages the clutch sloppy in the linkage. If it has exess movement while disengauged maybe look at adjusting exess movement out of the linkages.

All things suggested can't hurt. Sort of prentative maintenance anyway.

If belts dont help.
Most clutches are pretty basic. Lay parts in the order removed. Use your phone camera to keep records.

Last edited:
Another thought too, Upper pulley spins on a bearing assembly with clutch dis-engaged. When clutch is engaged, that bearing no longer spins, because clutch is locking pulley to the shaft, and you begin to roll on shaft's own bearings in headstock housing.

While not exactly the same lathe, I think in principle you may be set up the same way. This vid will show the removal of a series 61 clutch and that bearing that operates with clutch disengaged. On older lathes, that bearing is lubed by a grease fitting sorta on the rear side of head stock, and not unusual for that grease to be very old and needing to be purged:

The fella that made that vid, has 2 or 3 more vids to complete that particular repair.

Last edited:
On my Monarch, the fitting that allows lube into the bearing was not drilled completely through so no new gease ever entered the bearing in 69 years. It is a good idea to take the clutch apart, check that the parts work freely, check the springs and plate, change the bearing, and check that the grease hole is working. Clutch parts are hard to replace and it seems that most need love. i have a thread on the clutch work I did. Dave

Attachments

• DSCN4351.JPG
    DSCN4351.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN4353.JPG
    DSCN4353.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCN4355.JPG
    DSCN4355.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 9
Removed the clutch down to the pulley, I turn on the lathe and noise was gone. I’ve examined the clutch parts can’t really see anything damagEd. The woodruff key that holds the end cap needs to be replaced. I’ve cleanEd everything except the fiber disks. Part ordered and hopefully running again by weekend.
Thanks again for all the replies.

Back