What's new
What's new

Monarch AA Tail stock refurbishment questions....

Nobody has mentioned this but I used Moglice on the tailstock bottom. Some people say this and that and it wouldn't work, but Devitt said they use all the time for tailstocks. Thats been over 10 yrs with no issues whatsoever. One of the mentioned problems was that Moglice doesn't like to be clamped, and that due to its slipperyness will creep when clamped. I found exactly the opposite, if the surface was not suffficiently flaked, it would wring with the ways like good gage blocks. Even with way oil, it was hard to push. I did extensive testing and found no compression, creep or otherwise. I thought if it didn't work I could always make up some cast iron replacements but that has not been the case. I have found that building good adjustable fixtures (for the Moglice) to be easier than scraping for alignment. One caveat is that my ways were freshly ground and smooth as a baby's butt. That may have contributed to the high level of stiction on the Moglice.

I used to sell Moglice and know Drew Devitt personally and his late Father. It is a great product and has revolutionized rebuilding as has Turcite and the BIAX Power Scraper. Bob used Moglice putty on his saddle. Thanks Daryl for sharing that as I never used it on the tail-stock bottom. You must have milled off some iron accept the .040 to .062" thickness? Rich

Yep. I don't remember exactly but it was in the .040 to .060 range. I know Russ Kepler had some problems, but my experience was totally different. I don't remember if Tim in D did this to his tailstock or not. I think I remember one deviation that seemed to satisfy the armchair rebuilders was to use the Moglice in between the two halves of the tailstock and align it that way, thus retaining cast iron to cast cast iron way contact. I don't know how you would fixture that, but I'm sure it could be done.

Vettbob, maybe I'm overlooking it but how are you getting lubrication to the ways? It appears that your inserts are covering the oil channels..... Or, did you machine them after the scrape job (and photo)?

Back