What's new
What's new

Moore tool holder modification

Froneck

Titanium
I have been using carbide end mills as boring bar or Jig Bore reamer. Carbide is ridged and produces a nice hole when opening up a drilled hole. I usually follow with a Carbide reamer for holes less tha 1/2" in diameter, usually less than 3/8" but on occasion 10mm, seems there are a few size metric Carbide end mills with 10mm shanks. I have quite a few 3/8" Moore tool holders that are 3/8". Would it be possible to open 3/8" to 10mm? Anyone know of a good source for metric Moore tool holders? I keep looking but haven't found any yet however my manual said they were available, probably overseas.

Years ago.....Install your tool holder in the quill. Locate and mount a boring bar on the table or in the vise. Bore your holder on the machine. Power downfeed to stop, move tool in X a coupe .001's until its the size you need. Years ago..............
JB

I didn't check but are the holders hard? Would like to get very small ID's I have a few with larger Jacobs taper that I don't need. Have Two 1/2" Jacobs Chucks on Moore taper plus a very small Jacobs Chuck that is so small I didn't think Jacobs made them that small. Also Albrecht Chucks in 3 different sizes from 1/4" to 5/8" so I'm thinking of making a tool holder for small carbide end mills with the large Jacobs taper if soft enough to tap.

I see I kinda put this in the wrong topic but while here if anyone has Moore holders in metric from 10mm down I'm interested. I do have a Quick Change with Moore taper, has one holder with Albrecht 1/2" chuck, looks new. Other holders are odd, looks to me as they are floating holders. They are 2 piece, one side fits the holder. other side is held on with 3 #8-32 button hex drive head screws. All are blank with no holes except center drilled. The mating surfaces are ground flat, with screws loose it will move about .020" in each direction.

Back