What's new
What's new

Moore Universal Measuring Machine - Gage Head Spindle Adapter

brcolow

Plastic
I am looking for anyone that owns or has access to a Moore Universal Measuring Machine (#3 would be ideal).

I have some pictures of the federal gage head indicator spindle adapter, but would *love* to get some measurements.

I have attached some pictures from a Youtube video I found showing the part I am interested in getting drawings/measurements for.

For what it's worth I contacted Moore Tools and they told me that they don't have that part anymore and even don't have the prints/specs for it (really disappointing for a company with such a rich history....).

Thanks!

Attachments

• moore umm indicator attachment 2.png
    moore umm indicator attachment 2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • moore umm indicator attachment 3.png
    moore umm indicator attachment 3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • moore umm indicator attachment 4.png
    moore umm indicator attachment 4.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 56
  • moore umm indicator attachment.png
    moore umm indicator attachment.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
You could call Professional Instruments in St. Louis Park MN as I know they used to have some Moore Instruments that they used in making disk drives. They also have another division called Air Bearings inc. who maybe able to help. I'm not sure any of my old contacts still work there as they probably retired by now. lol

Both two very good suggestions. Thank you both! I had scoured Mahr's catalogue and didn't see anything currently that would work. But I will try and contact them directly!

I went out and looked at my Moore #3 measuring machine to refresh my memory what I have. Mine is pretty old and has a Cleveland indicator, but still a very similar looking attachment. You need something that can rotate, feed your signal to the indicator and not wad up the wiring, so the part that fits up into the spindle of the moore, is allowing the signal to pass to a short wire which plugs into the indicator. So a rotary union. This doesn't LOOK like a really easy part for a hobby guy to construct.

Jump forward to NOW and we have cars with a multitude of switches and controls on our steering wheels. I have a Ferrari 458 that controls about fifteen different functions from the steering wheel. certainly this same technology could be adapted to operate a simple electronic indicator on a Moore measuring machine.

Hi Brian,

I am a bit confused about the point you are trying to make besides the fact that you have a Ferrari!

Would you be willing to make a schematic/drawing of the indicator attachment?

Yeah the wires through the spindle part is already taken care of by Moore, there is a socket for the probe connector built in the bottom of the spindle (such as where a tapered tool holder would normally fit into a normal mill spindle).

The problem Brcolow has is what is then the original holder of the probe, that attaches to the spindle? Very few pictures out there showing how this was done by Moore.

There appears to be a sleeve w/ set screw that fits around the protrusion of the bottom spindle (around the part that probe lead plugs into the spindle), which carries a bar, a block, with a joint and several fine adjust knobs and locking knobs. Something could be made to emulate, but I understand wanting to know what exactly Moore did for a restoration.

Well excuse me if i offended you by mentioning the incredible changes that have taken place, in the last fifty years, where a myriad of circuits now can somehow work, through a rotating interface. You asked for someone with a Moore #3 for advise, and i looked at my machine. I also had a much newer #2 Moore measuring machine which had a very similar looking attachment to what you have in your photographs. The one on my MUCH older Moore #3 is similar, but not the same as your picture.

So maybe you can clarify just what are you looking for. My Moore measuring machine serial number M105 is a pretty early model and the indicator holder which slides into the spindle performs the function of allowing the spindle to rotate without rolling up the wire attached to it. Which is also why I said it doesn't look like a candidate to make very easily. If you are CONFUSED as to the point I was trying to make, then you obviously didn't understand that my indicator holder is probably NOT the one you want to copy. If your machine has a socket up in the spindle, then it's the design of my much newer #2 measuring machine, which is now in Utah. Good luck on your quest. At some point Moore Changed their design, and maybe your machine is newer.

No offense taken (I don't offend easily).

I was looking for someone who owned an indicator adapter similar to the one I posted the four pictures of in my original post who would be willing to make a drawing/schematic of it.

Thanks.

Brian,

Would you be willing to take some detailed pictures of how it attaches to the spindle on the machine?

Well excuse me if i offended you by mentioning the incredible changes that have taken place, in the last fifty years, where a myriad of circuits now can somehow work, through a rotating interface. You asked for someone with a Moore #3 for advise, and i looked at my machine. I also had a much newer #2 Moore measuring machine which had a very similar looking attachment to what you have in your photographs. The one on my MUCH older Moore #3 is similar, but not the same as your picture.

So maybe you can clarify just what are you looking for. My Moore measuring machine serial number M105 is a pretty early model and the indicator holder which slides into the spindle performs the function of allowing the spindle to rotate without rolling up the wire attached to it. Which is also why I said it doesn't look like a candidate to make very easily. If you are CONFUSED as to the point I was trying to make, then you obviously didn't understand that my indicator holder is probably NOT the one you want to copy. If your machine has a socket up in the spindle, then it's the design of my much newer #2 measuring machine, which is now in Utah. Good luck on your quest. At some point Moore Changed their design, and maybe your machine is newer.
To whom it may concern Brian at Versamill is one of the generous and knowledgeable mentors on PM in my opinion.

I am way more impressed with the multitude of awesome machine
tools that Brian has, and could not care less about a Ferrari.
Seriously.
I'll take a DeVliege over a Ferrari any day of the week.

-Doozer

For what it's worth I contacted Moore Tools and they told me that they don't have that part anymore and even don't have the prints/specs for it (really disappointing for a company with such a rich history....).

Thanks!
I too find it crazy when once great companies go to pot.
I imagine paper drawing files just being thrown in the dumpster.
Some of this I have done myself, although not proud of it.
We had a room of paper files at the Michelin location where
I had my home office. I wanted to turn the room into a QC
lab area. These files were largely tire mold drawings.
Really early stuff, from tire mold makers in California in the
1940s and 50s. Some of the old molds became Kelly-Springfield
molds and sent to Ohio. I suspect some of this was sent to
Charlie Coker for his operations. But I literally threw away 10
C and D size file cabinets of tire mold drawings. Pencil and
ink. Now the Archives at plant US1 in Greenville SC had a
college intern who was scanning in the old paper drawings
to digital format. I asked my boss if he wanted to ship the
drawing to US1 and have them scanned. No interest for
whatever reason. Old tire technology is just that. Old.
But whatever. I was still not proud of myself. But at least
they were not machine tool drawings.
I did acquire some C size ball bearing cabinets for my shop
out of the operation. Not a complete loss I guess.
I did have to remove the metal door frame to get the 3 foot
wide surface plate in that room. When I left that factory,
the QC room was never used. I heard it closed 10 years later.

-Doozer

Back