What's new
What's new

More new Haas issues.....

thats not a trivial amount! if i lost 1/2" on my vf2 i would be down 1 one my products i make on it... how the heck could they have missed that during a redesign? if they are that straped to pay QC it may be time to short their stocks? yeesh

You'll have to be Gene Haas in that case, it's a privately-owned company...

my Dad tells a funny story about Gene selling rotaries out his trunk in the mid 80's around the San Fernando Valley

Guy has done well for himself having a NASCAR and F1 team I mean lol

Was it overtravelling before, leaving you still with the spec travel?
No sir. The thing is if they would have used a better (ie more expensive) way cover design on the VF's Z axis it would have been fine. If you have ever seen the VF's from the 90's they had the plates which were awesome for clearence but real finicky when it came to "bumping" them as the fellas say. These newer bellows type way covers never last long term, just another way for Haas to guarantee future sales with them only lasting so long no matter what you do. Same design the HS1 and HS2 had on Y axis, only last 5-7 years before falling apart.

Probably a poor place to deposit this info but didn't want to start another thread. Another big problem we had with these newest VF's was with the way-covers reacting to the [previous] coolant we used. We were using Blaser synthetic and it was eating away at the metal. After noticing a week into machining the damage we ended up shopping for a different coolant. That Blaser synthetic, boy it never wore out but damn was it hard on the paint and rubber of both Haas and Okuma machinery. Just beware of what coolant you use with these newest ones.

Probably a poor place to deposit this info but didn't want to start another thread. Another big problem we had with these newest VF's was with the way-covers reacting to the [previous] coolant we used. We were using Blaser synthetic and it was eating away at the metal. After noticing a week into machining the damage we ended up shopping for a different coolant. That Blaser synthetic, boy it never wore out but damn was it hard on the paint and rubber of both Haas and Okuma machinery. Just beware of what coolant you use with these newest ones.
yeah you're not the first to discover that, my buddy djstorm here had major issues with that.

They are galvanized covers now correct? Ss is another $1000 upgrade I think

I do believe so , not 100% what they are now except not as good. Years ago an odd job required me to paint over several sections of galvanized sheet metal and the trick to get the paint to stick was simply a heavy spray and wipe with white vinegar . Seems a similar reaction may be afoot here as well.

It doesn't really matter what coolant you use, the galvanized covers will still corrode. And then the coating becomes a sticky gooey mess and aluminum chips weld themselves to it and the welded chips destroy the wipers pretty much immediately. The only fix, I think, is to completely remove the coating with a wire wheel or whatever. This is less work than the alternative of constantly trying, in vain, to keep welded chips off and to remove the sticky film.

Haas is a garbage tier company.

About the $500 code, at least on my 2013 Haas with the old control, a (non Haas) service tech was able to get into the parameters and orientate my spindle to the tool changer, and I have not paid for spindle orientation. So at least with the old controllers up to a certain point, no money was required to adjust the relevant value.

It doesn't really matter what coolant you use, the galvanized covers will still corrode. And then the coating becomes a sticky gooey mess and aluminum chips weld themselves to it and the welded chips destroy the wipers pretty much immediately. The only fix, I think, is to completely remove the coating with a wire wheel or whatever. This is less work than the alternative of constantly trying, in vain, to keep welded chips off and to remove the sticky film.

Haas is a garbage tier company.

About the $500 code, at least on my 2013 Haas with the old control, a (non Haas) service tech was able to get into the parameters and orientate my spindle to the tool changer, and I have not paid for spindle orientation. So at least with the old controllers up to a certain point, no money was required to adjust the relevant value.
Ya my 08 I can do almost anything a tech can.
Only the debug mode tricks that are unknown.
When I removed the smtc to squeeze it in the garage it was nice being able to toss it back up re and reset the spindle orientation myself.

They proboboy changed it because people would boost the speeds for free. Was a very popular “user mod” on the tm series to boost spindle and table speeds. Made a huge difference

I sure hope they include a nice note thanking you for the hard screwing with a price like that...
There covers that go around the table (bolt to the table) which could be argue as way cover, are still galvanneal if you get the upgrade.
I sold that POS after 18 months and bought a DNM 5700. There is no comparison between the machines. If someone says "But with fanuc you have more button presses" I'd say they are just lazy.

There covers that go around the table (bolt to the table) which could be argue as way cover, are still galvanneal if you get the upgrade.
I sold that POS after 18 months and bought a DNM 5700. There is no comparison between the machines. If someone says "But with fanuc you have more button presses" I'd say they are just lazy.
i'm no fanuc fan, but its 1000x better than any haas POS

I'm no Haas fan either, I lobbied unsuccessfully to switch our mills from Haas to Okuma when we bought these last two. In the end a couple of our machinists didn't want to learn a new control so they rallied the rest of the mill guys to resist switching brands, unfortunately the owner let the inmates run the asylum . In the end it was said to be 20 years of Haas programs was to much to convert over to Okuma programs as the official excuse.I could go on and on about this but will stop here.

I saw 2 semi's with Haas heading to your shop. :D

I'm no Haas fan either, I lobbied unsuccessfully to switch our mills from Haas to Okuma when we bought these last two. In the end a couple of our machinists didn't want to learn a new control so they rallied the rest of the mill guys to resist switching brands, unfortunately the owner let the inmates run the asylum . In the end it was said to be 20 years of Haas programs was to much to convert over to Okuma programs as the official excuse.I could go on and on about this but will stop here.
Lazy asses. If I can switch from Haas NGC to Fanuc anyone can.

The new fanuc that Doosan/DN Solutions uses is very Haas-ish.
I have a few more video on my channel. Going to upload more, use them for internally for if I forget something. First fanuc machine for me.

I saw 2 semi's with Haas heading to your shop. :D

Lazy asses. If I can switch from Haas NGC to Fanuc anyone can.

The new fanuc that Doosan/DN Solutions uses is very Haas-ish.
I have a few more video on my channel. Going to upload more, use them for internally for if I forget something. First fanuc machine for me.
you know i'm only a stone's throw away from you now, right? slut :P

Back