What's new
What's new

Morse Taper 3 - 3 adapter / extension ??

PackardV8

Hot Rolled
In sorting through some Morse taper adapters, I came across one which was #3 male / #3 female.

6148kWkUn2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Extends a Morse Taper tool from the spindle.
Why or where would such an extension typically be needed?

jack vines

Last edited:
I have one. The only thing I used it for is as a faster way to change tools, you don't have to screw the tailstock all the way back all the time. Got a turret lathe. Want an adapter?

Ed.

Couple ways I've used them: extending a drill to drill a deeper hole (drill needs to be larger in diameter than the extension). Drilling up close to a deep ledge when the drill itself isn't long enough to get past. Also for quick changes as mentioned above.

Used for drilling flat bar, short tubes, short beams on drill lines. You do not get the long drill wobble- do not need long drills in every size.

I have several in MT5. It allows the tailstock on the large lathe to be locked 6” away from the carriage. Gives you more room to machine with a centre etc.

6” of TS quill extension and 6” of adapter leaves clearance without having to unclamp/reposition TS. Pretty well a permanent fixture on that lathe.

You could probably also use it if your tailstock socket is beat to hell.

Around 1975, I bought an assortment of Morse taper extensions in several taper sizes and lengths. I converted a couple of them to long boring bars with the taper in the lathe headstock spindle and the opposite end (with the female socket cut off) supported with a tailstock live center. I adapted the carriage to hold a T-slotted table and used the lathe as a horizontal boring mill. I bored the cylinders of a couple model hit and miss gas engines that way. Worked great.

Extensions of appropriate size can be used to make replacement lathe tailstock rams. That ejecting slot and tang holder is a useful feature found on the Clausing 5914 lathes, but not found on many other lathes.

Larry

I have used them to make short tools longer, Everything works better if all the tools are similar length. For example, using a center drill driver collet in the extension instead of putting it in a drill chuck, and then having to change the centerdrill with another tool because I didn't have enough drill chucks.

If they have enough meat on the OD, they make great replacement spindles for your tailstock after line boring. 😊 That's if they are not harden.

I have fixed a couple of tailstocks with straight od Morse sockets made for a turret lathe. Bore line on line and install with red locktite. Any press will be picked up on the od of the spindle, so unless the spindle is known loose, don't go there.

A bit late to the thread - Playing strictly as a hobbyist, I use them on occasion with a live center to give me more room for the carriage to move. Just a bit disappointed that it took me 20+ years to become aware of them and buy the first one. As a hack one could also chuck the OD of the female socket into the lathe chuck if you had a need to modify a MT tool.

Maybe some of you with a Hardinge lathe will agree...
With the HLV-H, to do any sort of drilling on a short part,
like held in the collet, the carriage and toolbit has to be
cranked right up close to the spindle nose.
Using a 2MT to 2MT extension gives back some needed
space before the tailstock hits the carriage.

-Doozer

Back