What's new
What's new

Most visable color under a dark greasy machine

Bill D

Diamond
I understand that flourscent yellow green is the most visable to the human eye in bright daylight. As it turns to night orange/red become more visable as color vision is reduced in dim lighting. This has to do with the ratio of rods and cones in the human eyes. We lose night vision to gain color vision in the daylight compared to most animals who have limited or no color vision.

So my question is I need to buy some rubber caps to cover grease Zerk fittings. This will help keep them clean and make them easier to find. I would suppose that there is a better choice then black so they will stand out in dim light covered with some oil and grease. Choices run black, blue, yellow, green, red and black. The idea is easier to find color will help me make sure I grease them all under a car or machine. Yes I could use a map and check system to make sure I hit them all.
I realize this may seem like a simple question. Ia m just wondering if anyone has studied this effect. I have read that any choice of reading material othe then black on white has at best 80% readability. Some color choices are over 50 % harder to read due to lack of contrast,.
I do know that red green color blindness is the most commom one. Many cars used red or green led dashboards until makers realized blue was a better choice for male drivers. That also means red/green traffic lights are about the worst possible choice. This is the reason red firetrucks have switched to lime green. Of course men are far more likely to be colorblind then women drivers.
Bill D
This is prtobaly a mote point with them covered in dirt and grease with none of the actual object visible.

You'd do well to paint the floor under the machine a white or silver color to improve visibility. A zerk cap is tiny and once you remove it to grease the fitting, it's not doing you any good anyway. Hell...install a few LED light strips under there..cheap and easy.

When I've had dashboards out of cars, I paint the back silver. It looks like crap...but no one can see it. Once you're on your back trying to work under the dash, though, it sure makes things easier to see.

As an experiment you could buy a pack of multicolor Sharpies and see how the caps look in that environment. You might also think of cutting self-adhesive vinyl rings (or just a ring of paint) around the fittings to make them easier to locate.

As an experiment you could buy a pack of multicolor Sharpies and see how the caps look in that environment. You might also think of cutting self-adhesive vinyl rings (or just a ring of paint) around the fittings to make them easier to locate.
My ironworker has red adhesive backed rings around each one, works well.

You really need to post some good pics for a good answer. You really don't want colors that clash with each other. Feng Shuai type of thing.:popcorn:

Feng Shuai, maybe that explains why all school shop machines get painted green with yellow highlights. Regardless of school colors. My High school was green and gold(Yellow). At the time I thought it was school colors.
Also expalins the ebaY blue porch paint rebuild jobs on the bay.
Bill D

I suppose it might make sense on a machine like a bridgeport that uses zerks for grease and oil. One color for grease another very different color for the oil zerks. Maybe green=grease, oil ?
Bill D

green is morphs into other colors for lots of color blind people. It really depends on background on what you need to pop out visually.

Turns out the old manual I had was wrong. This was mostly for a Powermatic wood planer. The older rmanual said it had 4 grease zerks for some low speed rollers. I could not find those zerks. Hence the visability question. I found a newer manual online that says those are (now) sealed bearings.
I will pull the bed rolls and look since they say to grease those bearings but there is no way to get grease into them.
Bill D.

Back