What's new
What's new

Moved Machine Shop to House, Air Compressor Problem

I'm running a 7.5hp three phase compressor on a VFD. I don't have any issues. The VFD is sized the same as the motor. The VFD is a cheapo from Amazon. Been running for two years now.

You may want to look into getting a phase perfect instead of using the rotary converter. I had the same issue running a 40 hp rotary. It was eating up a big chunk of my available amperage just running the motor. Phase perfect eliminated that issue and the supplied electric is way more accurate and balanced.
Thank you for that! Maybe down the road. Right now I amm only running a 20hp rpc so its not too bad.
ALso, thats good to know. Mine is a 5hp. So this is probably the path, and 5hp is cheaper then 10 for a vfd!

Hello all.
Just moved my machine shop back home to the garage. My last machine didn't require air, but my new Robodrill does. I have the mill hooked up to my phase convertor I already had, but the kick on from my 3 phase Champion reciprocating compressor cause the power to fault out. So I am looking for a cheap alternative to run it on its own power source. I am looking at VFDs to be able to do so. Does anyone run their 3 phase compressor on a vfd? I've only used rotary phase convertors, not vfds so its a new world for me. Looking at a 10 HP vfd. Any advice would be appreciated!
Sorry All, I forgot to mention, its a 5HP motor

I know you wanted low cost and that may be possible but I have to give a shout out for Phase Perfect digital phase converters. I run 2 Haas VF2's, a Prototrak lathe and a 5 hp quincy of a 30 hp phase perfect at the same time. Amazing thing is I only have a 100 amp panel that its all powered from with no problems and when machines are not running its very low amp draw and real cheap to idle.

Yes they (single phase 10hp motors) exist. Or with some pulley changing to slow the pump down some you could probably go to 7.5hp.

No way I’d consider using my rpc generated 3 phase to run a compressor.

WTF? - I'm running TWO Sodick wire edms AND a Kaiser 15HP Aircenter rotary screw compressor on a 60HP RPC - AT THE SAME TIME

Never had an issue.

A 20hp rpc should be able to start/run a 5hp compressor without issue. What brand of rpc? What amperage breaker? What wire size from breaker to rpc? What wire size from rpc to compressor? How much distance from rpc to compressor?

Edit: How many amps fed to garage panel?

WTF? - I'm running TWO Sodick wire edms AND a Kaiser 15HP Aircenter rotary screw compressor on a 60HP RPC - AT THE SAME TIME

Never had an issue.

Screw compressors don't start under any load at all and they don't cycle. Your experience is irrelevant to the OP's situation with a piston compressor.

Sorry All, I forgot to mention, its a 5HP motor
Hi Kparent,
I found you on this thread on fanuc robodrill.
I'm looking into buying fanuc robodrill & install it in my shed in UK.
My power supply is 240V single phase.
Did you manage to install and turns on fanuc robodrill and works in your garage?
If it does, which 3 phase converter do you use for that machine?
Are you locating in UK?
I'll be appreciated if you can share that info.

Back