What's new
What's new

Moving a Hexagon Optiv 2 Reference 2Z443 CMM

markp

Hot Rolled
Im moving a Hexagon Optiv 2 Reference 2Z443 CMM tomorrow. I don't have the manual for transportation but the OP manual I do have indicates that there are "transportation clamps" that fix the axis. Im trying to get the info from Hexagon but dont know if I will be able to unless I get a service contract for the machine. The machine was working when I viewed today but Id rather make a more thorough inspection myself before getting any calibration/service done. I need to move about 40 miles over freeway on my flatbed truck. I was going to remove the granite upper section with the control box from the stand and set unto a 6" pad of closed cell foam on a pallet, after strapping the XY platen with ratchet straps. Id really like to know what the clamps look like and where they are positioned and any other tips. THX!

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    757.7 KB · Views: 10
Well, here's what I ended up doing. Locked the two z axis by bolting alum plates from the lower frame to the bearing trucks. (I just drilled them out onsite with a hand drill). Then made up a plywood plate that fitted over the X Y table. Screwed carpet padded 2x4s to those for a tight fit. The plate locks against the vertical granite towers on each side to immobilize the X axis. Then I strapped the granite XY down with a small strap over closed cell foam sheets against foam blocks at the rear of the granite plate.

I then strapped the table to the lower frame with small straps and blocked the feet into the heavy duty pallet. Im going to use softer foam blocks to block in the precitec head on the surface flatness gage head tomorrow. Setting onto my flatbed sideways and bagging/wrapping the head area then cranking down the pallet and base hard. Lastly strapping a strap over the top granite tower to the truck bed, ( not too hard!) and across the front of the granite base to the pallet, to keep it from bouncing. Then praying for 40 miles on the freeway...

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know before tomorrow!!

Attachments

• optiv.jpg
    optiv.jpg
    701.9 KB · Views: 6
  • optiv2.JPG
    optiv2.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 6
  • optiv3.JPG
    optiv3.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 5
  • optiv4.JPG
    optiv4.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Did you call the manufacturer? Often they’ll have a diagram of where the shipping brackets go. This will tell you where to secure it, even if you don’t have the actual brackets.

Did you call the manufacturer? Often they’ll have a diagram of where the shipping brackets go. This will tell you where to secure it, even if you don’t have the actual brackets.
Hexagon wouldn’t tell me anything about shipping preparation. they wanted me to get a service contract and pay them to move it for me and calibrate afterwards.

Last edited:

Back