What's new
What's new

Moving sale :( Monarch lathe,Abene mill,B&S#13,Moore #1-1/2,& more, South Louisiana

Duncan, Im still interested in the Harig

You"ve got some real nice machines that are going to be hard to replace. Anyway, Im going to look over my little truck tomorrow and then Ill be in touch to line up taking the Harig off your hands. That's probably one of the easiest for you to replace in my opinion .
Plus, then you'll have a little extra cash and maybe you won't be as stressed out. Ill be in touch. If you want this sooner than later...text or call me and I can get it done soon.
Thanks again-Tim

Of course Duncan... that’s only if you still want to sell. If not, let me know. No hard feelings in either case. I understand the tool thing.

Last edited:
My 2 cents opinion, it seems the biggest problem is moving the machines in a container, they would need to be bolted down, and it would require a crane to load/unload container from a truck, the rollback trucks cannot handle the weight. I hired a flat-bed semi truck and hauled my shop from central Tx to northern Nv for 5K, tarped. Why not just hire a truck to do the move, get an empty container delivered to the new location and move them into it until you get a shop built? I don't know what the machine market is like in Denver, for me in Nv its slim pickings, looking at a machine I want today and its a 12 hour one way drive away.

My 2 cents opinion, it seems the biggest problem is moving the machines in a container, they would need to be bolted down, and it would require a crane to load/unload container from a truck, the rollback trucks cannot handle the weight. I hired a flat-bed semi truck and hauled my shop from central Tx to northern Nv for 5K, tarped. Why not just hire a truck to do the move, get an empty container delivered to the new location and move them into it until you get a shop built? I don't know what the machine market is like in Denver, for me in Nv its slim pickings, looking at a machine I want today and its a 12 hour one way drive away.

$5,000 to move all my machines in one truckload would not be a bad deal! But, I'm still set on the sale, though I do appreciate your input. The logistics of everything are just way too hairy to move any machines to Colorado right now - I'm moving into an apartment so I can focus on the new job first, and also giving me time to figure out where in the Boulder area I want to settle down for a while. Best I could do is put them on a truck like you suggest, have them delivered to a very friendly storage facility with a rented forklift ready to pick them off the truck and place them in a storage unit. If I had planned this change of life better, I think something like what you're suggesting would have been ideal.

As far as machine availability, south Louisiana isn't great. We have one big glaring problem, there's nothing to the south of us! We have half as much land to source heavy iron from compared to people in the interior states. And garage sized machines are usually beat to death around here, if you can even find them. Plenty of big spindle bore oil field lathes, though.The furthest I've personally driven to get a machine was about 600 miles one way. I've also had several machines shipped LTL freight and have had good experiences so far, though it adds at least $1,000 to the cost of the machine.

I've added some new photos of the lathe (and the big tilting dividing head) to the Google Photos album link I posted earlier in the thread. I also included one video of me trying to run the lathe while filming with a cell phone to show how the spindle sounds and that the feeds and threading works just fine. My foot makes a guest appearance to flip some handles because I couldn't hold the phone far enough away to get everything in the shot.

Here's that link again for anyone interested:
Moving to Colorado, machines for sale - Google Photos

edit: I just watched the video of me running the lathe and it cracks me up! That's not my normal accent by any stretch. I'm quite stressed out and have a bunch of mouth ulcers to prove it, making it hurt to talk right now, which I guess is why I sound so funny. Also, my foot was not prepared for threading 3.25 threads per inch at 480 RPM!

tough decision to make. Personally if I were you I'd thin the herd a bit to the point where a move and storage isn't so daunting and then move the machines you'll struggle to replace. Machine tool market in the mountain states is really thin and expensive - the Gulf states look like machine tool heaven in comparison. I've moved countries and states multiple times and unless you really have to get rid of something, don't. It'll cost you way more $ and time than you think to replace them, certainly more than you will spend moving and storing them.

Thank you all for your interest in my machines so far.

The following machines/items are sold: Monarch lathe, Moore rotary table, Journeyman bandsaw, rotary phase converter, transformer, Komunaras/Stankoimport milling machine, Harig surface grinder, Optima drill grinder, and Moore jig borer.

The following machines are still for sale: Brown and Sharpe #13 cylindrical grinder, Jones and Shipman tool and cutter grinder, and Abene milling machine, along with whatever else is left in my shop once this is all said and done. Please make offers on these machines, I'm sure we can work something out. To those that have expressed interest in purchasing parts of machines or machine accessories and having them shipped, I have not forgotten about you, but I would still like to wait a bit longer to see if I can find a local buyer for them.

Only have a few machines left, I've copied the descriptions below and added some photos from the album(Moving to Colorado, machines for sale - Google Photos) to this post for more interest, I hope.

-Abene VHF-2B horizontal/vertical milling machine. Fair condition, everything operates, but you can feel that it is more worn in the middle of its travels. Also, the previous owner shot grease in the zerks instead of oil, so make of that what you will. The spindle is still strong, and takes very healthy cuts. About 2,500 pounds.
40 taper vertical/horizontal spindle, with ER-32 chuck and collets, TG-something chuck and 1 collet, 5/8" Jacobs drill chuck, assorted hold downs and parallels. Requires 550 volts 3 phase but I've been running on 500 volts with no apparent ill effects.
$1,000

-Brown and Sharpe #13 grinder, good condition, about 3,000 pounds.
This machine is my favorite in the garage. I use it for doing cylindrical grinding, and it is still very much up to the task for tool room style OD and cylindrical grinding. I recently repacked the bearings with good, new Kluber grease. I have a steady rest for it, the ID grinding attachment (ball bearing style), Jaocbs rubberflex collet chuck, and one or two additional faceplates for mounting accessories. I have a 4 jaw chuck that has not been mounted yet for it. (11 left hand wheel hubs to be split with this machine and the Harig, plus 8 right hand wheel hubs that will go with this machine). Currently running 480 volts 3 phase.
$1,000

-Jones and Shipman 310 tool and cutter grinder, good condition (almost very good, but could use a little more cleaning up due to humidity in south Louisiana), about 1,600 pounds.
I really haven't used this machine much at all. But it comes with almost all the standard equipment, and some of the additional accessories (indexing attachment and one or two others). Some cup grinding wheels to go with the machine. Requires 550 volts 3 phase, but currently running on 500 with no apparent ill effects.
$1,000
IMG_20210316_234035297.jpg
IMG_20210316_234358165.jpg
IMG_20210316_234737567.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_234109408.jpg
    IMG_20210316_234109408.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20210316_234243434.jpg
    IMG_20210316_234243434.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 53
Could you load a dock high semi trailer or do you know a hot shotter? How much time to you have left before you are gone?

I can't load onto a dock high semi trailer, but I just might be convinced to put these on a pallet each and bring them to an LTL freight company locally. I think if I can get them to the local FedEx Freight on a drop deck trailer, they could pick them off with a forklift and then drive them up their ramp into the terminal and onto an semi trailer.

The gentleman I sold the lathe to seems to know a hot shotter, that may be a possibility. I have one week left until I plan on leaving!

The Abene milling machine is sold, and I have a committed sale on the Brown and Sharpe #13 and the Jones and Shipman tool and cutter grinder. If those fall through, I may be able to you set up with a hot shotter heading north gbent.

Thanks again to everyone for your interest and participation!

Back