What's new
What's new

MSC Lathe Parts Needed

sknies

Plastic
Hello,

Been having a time locating parts for my MSC lathe model number 951447 13"x40"

The tailstock lead screw nut ( which is brass ) stripped out and I am looking for a replacement quill, nut, tailstock etc whatever it takes to get it going again.

Tried calling grizzly, enco , msc with no luck. My research shows all these lathes were the same back then just branded different.

Hoping someone can help me out!

Thanks,

Shayn

Few people here will know what you have by the model#, best if you can get some nice clear pics of the whole machine. Without knowing what you have, I'm going to guess its a generic chinese lathe, made by multiple companies, parts from a similar machine may or may not fit. You may get lucky and find parts here or on ebay. Your other option is to just make the parts you need.

Edit: Maybe something here can be made to fit Object moved

It's likely metric. Wouldn't be too much of a climb to make the parts. It's probably bronze and they made it so it's sacrificial. The quill is a different story. What's wrong with it?

Lead screw is attached to the tailstock? Does it feed the entire tailstock into the chuck for power drilling?
Search on how to make a new nut from delrin using heat and press fit.
Bill D

tailstock leadscrew...otherwise known as quill nut was missing .....I made a tap and threaded a bit of brass/bronze leftover .......these bits are surprisingly expensive OEM......making your own is a lot cheaper ......also a lot cheaper is dropping some oil through the oil hole in casting onto the thread.

Technically calling it a lead screw is correct. In reality there generally listed as feed screw nuts to separate them from lathes lead screw half nuts. So using feed screw instead of lead screw pulls up what your searching for a lot better. And depending on the lathes quality and as others mentioned, there much more likely bronze instead of brass. For starters you need to identify what ACME diameter and pitch your tail stocks feed screw has, left or right hand and metric or imperial. Without that you have no idea what your even looking for or what may or may not work.

Off the shelf and over sized ACME nuts are available from lots of manufacturers. Helixlinear, SKF, Nook are just a few who make them. There oversized to allow machining to fit what the mounting requirements are. Measuring the old nut and comparing the dimensions given on those manufacturers web sites will show if any of those can be re-machined to work with what you already have. I highly doubt any nuts from any current lathe being made could be a 100% known to be correct drop in replacement because those off shore manufacturers make so many changes over the years and sometimes don't even use fully interchangeable part dimensions.

Back