What's new
What's new

Multiple Bridgeport mill floor spacing

MCritchley

Stainless
We're adding a second 42" table Bridgeport in our shop and i've been pondering the machine to machine spacing.

They will be along a wall angled about 30° and the base casing is 18" off the wall. Neither of the two machines will be occupied full time but could both be occupied during an 8 hour shift. I want the operators to be comfortable but I don't have a lot of space to occupy.

I was considering 8 feet between spindles. Do any members have a row of knee mills that they could measure the spacing? I did some image searching and just found large gaps between tech school machines.

We're adding a second 42" table Bridgeport in our shop and i've been pondering the machine to machine spacing.

They will be along a wall angled about 30° and the base casing is 18" off the wall. Neither of the two machines will be occupied full time but could both be occupied during an 8 hour shift. I want the operators to be comfortable but I don't have a lot of space to occupy.

I was considering 8 feet between spindles. Do any members have a row of knee mills that they could measure the spacing? I did some image searching and just found large gaps between tech school machines.
4 machines about 6 feet between spindles. 18" +/- from the wall angled somewhere between 30 and 45 degrees

Is the wall an inside wall or is it insulated? When it's -20F will the wall and area be cold? I like what Cole said. You want to be able to walk between the machines when they are cranked all the way.

You might want to consider turning one or more of the machines at a 10 or 15 degree angle. I drilled and tapped a 16' steel pipe inline this spring and had to go to my forth milling machine to get the side clearance I needed for that project. I had walls and lathes in the way on the other three machines. Definitely agree with Cole on the side clearance

So I put them at 45 degrees twisted.
A screen wall between each so you do not throw chips on the other guy next to you.
Very simple wood frame and window screen. Mine are 4 foot x 7 foot and two deep at each.
On 54s the spacing was 8 foot. When I had 42's it was less.
Oh for the days of having 10 B-ports running 3 shifts making toolholders.

Last edited:
So I put them at 45 degrees twisted.
A screen wall between each so you do not throw chips on the other guy next to you.
Very simple wood frame and window screen. Mine are 4 foot x 7 foot and two deep at each.
On 54s the spacing was 8 foot. When I had 42's it was less.
Oh for the days of having 10 B-ports running 3 shifts making

Good info Bob, I’ll go 7 or 8 feet as these are 42” machines. As far a chip screens I’ve been using blue tinted welding curtains for a few years. They are semi transparent and clean easily.

That should give enough room between extreme travels for a person to walk through.

Rich,The shop is climate controlled with air circulation so we are within a few degrees, so there are no worries there.

I position table machines according to which is the major axis, and angled, as do most shops, with one particular variance.
The 'inboard' (farthest from door) machines are spaced 6' or 8' depending on available X travel. 18'' from wall to get behind with chip shovels and brooms. The angle is right or left to allow max light from left side, same as a desk.
No tools hang behind, and there is room on at least 1 side and front for a lift cart.
The 'outboard' (closest to door) machine, has longest travel, it's placed 'square' to handle really long bars and tubing at both ends and middle. That way, no interference when roller stands are needed.

I've worked with lathes, mills, and really big machines. Always consider the size and weight of the parts going into said equipment when you must use an overhead crane. Having machines at an angle to the crane can be difficult at times, especially when doing it by your self. An accidental light bump from a heavy part can damage a machine.

We ended up spacing the spindles 8’ apart at 45 deg off the wall.

I placed the machine at 7’ and it seemed a bit too close. It’s nice having a little extra space for sweeping.

Here is a photo for posterity 11AA337C-02EC-4EF7-9D5D-86D9B7FA9B5F.jpeg that I took from an auction that popped up after I started the thread.

Back