What's new
What's new

My 10L up and running

That thing is cute & stumpy!
I dated a girl like that for a while.

Those chucks could be worth something to a person with the matching spindle. I hate to see odd stuff like that modified to fit something common.

edit: Looks like 2-3/16 - 10 is the Hardinge threaded spindle nose.

Last edited:
That thing is cute & stumpy!
I dated a girl like that for a while.

Those chucks could be worth something to a person with the matching spindle. I hate to see odd stuff like that modified to fit something common.

edit: Looks like 2-3/16 - 10 is the Hardinge threaded spindle nose.
Thanks. As a hobbyist I too don't care to see original parts modified, (especially if they are antique motorcycle parts😉)

Here are a couple more items that came with this lathe. I am clueless what they are, and not certain they even belong together. The left item is reminiscent of the collet draw bar I have, but much much shorter. Does anyone recognize these?
lathe_stuff.jpg

Smaller part on the right looks like a Bridgeport type mill quill/spindle return spring assy.
the two look like they work or go together as it looks like that hook in the spring go in the slit on the tube as some sort of return spring on that tube that may be some sort of quill on something

Lol, at the moment I see simple spacers ,bushings in my future, maybe some armature clean up, ect. Good eye. That is one of the "key missing parts" I was referring to (not to mention the tail stock clamp itself! I am on the lookout for these.
Nice job making her pretty again! Do you have a milling machine? If so, it would be a pretty easy job to make a new tail stock clamp. I have a 10L that's only two years newer so I would expect the clamp to be the same...more than happy to take pictures or get measurements for you if it will help.

the two look like they work or go together as it looks like that hook in the spring go in the slit on the tube as some sort of return spring on that tube that may be some sort of quill on something
Good point! I initially thought that too, but the tube diameter is too large to fit through the spring center, assuming that it would...

Last edited:
Nice job making her pretty again! Do you have a milling machine? If so, it would be a pretty easy job to make a new tail stock clamp. I have a 10L that's only two years newer so I would expect the clamp to be the same...more than happy to take pictures or get measurements for you if it will help.
Thank you! I do not have milling capability, but based on what little I know, I would agree it appears a straightforward job. (I actually started looking at the old milling attachments South Bend offered for this lathe, understanding their "limitations":)) I measured the distances on my lathe and figured the clamp is probably 3.5" long, to properly grab under the ways on each side, with 2.75" between the shoulders to center the clamp in the bed. Those look to be the two "critical" dimensions. If you could provide the measurements, that would be great! Also are there any identifying stamps or casting marks? If nothing else, it would help me correctly identify the clamp when looking at them on ebay. Hopefully @1yesca gets a chance to see if he has it handy.

2-1/4 x 8tpi chucks and backplates seem to be fairly common. At least I was always running into them when looking for stuff to fit the far-less-common 2-1/4 x 6tpi threads on my 14-1/2.

I’ll bet that Hardinge lathe is more difficult to find stuff for than a 10L, so I’m foreseeing a productive post where old Hardinge owners might congregate.

Making backplates for threaded spindles does not seem to me like a project for a beginning machinist, especially given the need for accuracy in tenths and extremely precise threads, but that may be the beginner in me expressing trepidation.

Rick “glad my lathe came with a Rohm 3-jaw and a Skinner 4-jaw already fitted” Denney

Thank you! I do not have milling capability, but based on what little I know, I would agree it appears a straightforward job. (I actually started looking at the old milling attachments South Bend offered for this lathe, understanding their "limitations":)) I measured the distances on my lathe and figured the clamp is probably 3.5" long, to properly grab under the ways on each side, with 2.75" between the shoulders to center the clamp in the bed. Those look to be the two "critical" dimensions. If you could provide the measurements, that would be great! Also are there any identifying stamps or casting marks? If nothing else, it would help me correctly identify the clamp when looking at them on ebay. Hopefully @1yesca gets a chance to see if he has it handy.
I'm glad I looked at mine, because I learned that at some point it was broken and brazed back together! The approximate dimensions are 3.25 x 2.125". I put it under the bed of mine and there's quite a bit of clearance on either end, so that fits with your 3.5" figure and your 2.75" figured looks correct as well. The bolt is a square-head 4" long 1/2-13 and the nut is 7/8" hex that's been turned down and parted on a lathe. The only markings I see are a "56" on the bottom.

I may make a steel replacement for mine in case it ever fails...shouldn't be too hard. I can make two copies if you're interested in getting something at least functional while you look for an original. Shoot me a PM if you want to discuss it.

Here are some pics:

IMG_3452.jpgIMG_3453.jpg
IMG_3455.jpg
IMG_3456.jpgIMG_3454.jpgIMG_3457.jpgIMG_3459.jpgIMG_3458.jpg

2-1/4 x 8tpi chucks and backplates seem to be fairly common. At least I was always running into them when looking for stuff to fit the far-less-common 2-1/4 x 6tpi threads on my 14-1/2.

I’ll bet that Hardinge lathe is more difficult to find stuff for than a 10L, so I’m foreseeing a productive post where old Hardinge owners might congregate.

Making backplates for threaded spindles does not seem to me like a project for a beginning machinist, especially given the need for accuracy in tenths and extremely precise threads, but that may be the beginner in me expressing trepidation.

Rick “glad my lathe came with a Rohm 3-jaw and a Skinner 4-jaw already fitted” Denney
Yeah I've concluded that backplates are not an option for these two chucks. I do like the 5" form factor compared to the 6" chucks I have that do fit.

Last edited:
... The approximate dimensions are 3.25 x 2.125". ..
...The only markings I see are a "56" on the bottom...
Thanks for that! The "56" does appear to follow the SouthBend parts catalogs.
I may make a steel replacement for mine in case it ever fails...shouldn't be too hard. I can make two copies if you're interested...
Very kind offer! I'll let you know in near future if I need to go that route.

I might have something that could work for you. PM me the dimensions to remind me and I'll check when I get back home

G-ManBart, Very good photos, I would like to make one also, thanks.​

Thanks...there's not too much to it really.

I decided to work on the replacement clamp a bit today and almost finished it....just need to make the final cuts where the top of the clamp meets the bottom of the bed rails. It's a touch bigger than the original but still has plenty of room to spare in every direction.

I made the slot the bolt head fits in narrower so either a hex head bolt or square head (like the original) would fit. A hex bolt in the original part spins.
Clamp2.jpg

Thanks...there's not too much to it really.

I decided to work on the replacement clamp a bit today and almost finished it....just need to make the final cuts where the top of the clamp meets the bottom of the bed rails. It's a touch bigger than the original but still has plenty of room to spare in every direction.

I made the slot the bolt head fits in narrower so either a hex head bolt or square head (like the original) would fit. A hex bolt in the original part spins.
View attachment 385525
it will do what it needs to do . and that's all that counts .

Back