What's new
What's new

My $29 Trucut Undercutter/Lathe

The old crane also has a 25kVa DC generator (ex Coles) that powers a scrap magnet.....the commutator is about 1 foot in dia,and at least 200 bars,but there is not a mark on it...just the dark mahogany brown colour it should be....Made by Lancashire Dynamo and Crypto around 1950.........in those days they made product as good as they could,not as cheap as they could get away with.

A bit of an update... I have gotten some good use out of this for turning commutators from 90+ year old motors. The undercutter was broken, poorly welded, and not angled perfectly so it is out of use, though I really don't need it. The issue is the hinged motor bracket. It was dropped and broke in many pieces, so the previous owner took the major parts and welded them to a sandwich style motor bracket, with what is now a damaged but somehow running motor. Getting the motor out to inspect it broke the base again, and I do not have access to a welder. Does anyone have a spare cast motor base/stand for one of these in their scrap pile or something they'd sell? It has hinge brackets on one side, and an adjustable rod on the other side to help with belt sizes. I can post a pic if needed. Thank you!

Armature lathe . Looks to be original paint . I was at a yard sale @ 6-7 years back . It was a kid selling all his dads stuff as fast as he could . I asked him how much for the armature lathe & he replied what's that . I pointed over to the Trucut & said that thing . He picked it up & brought it over to me & said your the first person here that knew what it was, get it out of here .SO it came home with me , it's over at a buds place for a while as he was doing some armature work & I went home & grabbed it for him . He's been real happy with it . It's a pretty cool machine & simple as all get up . A few years back I swapped out a receptacle at the NAPA store in town for their new alternator tester . When they asked how much I said I wanted the old one . SO now I can test alternators, starters & generators & clean up the armatures in some of them at home .
animal

People often ask about starting a business with no capital.....I knew a guy started part time with one of these,a small lathe and a few home made test benches ,never missed a flea market or yard sale.....among other stuff he picked up a AVO magneto armature rewinder in new condition at a flea market for $10.....now hes full time on old tractor and stationary engine ignition restoration and repairs

Back