What's new
What's new

My brother bought a time capsule, and I need help with machinery found in the shop.

fallingstarr13

Plastic
So, my brother bought a home on 12 acres with two workshops on it. It's like a time capsule, and I don't even know where to start to help him. I'm reaching out here hoping to get a start.
There is a SouthBend Lathe serial number 15744T. Can anyone tell me anything about it? There is also a Lempco crankshaft regrinder model 519 serial number 610. Then there is a Southbend Lathe CL145 D bed length 7. There is also a Bridgeport Drill press serial number J-100983 with a huge box of drill bits.

This was a working shop years ago until the owner had a heart attack. The doors were closed and it has been sitting there for years untouched. I can not even begin to list everything there. I am just curious as to what years those pieces are and maybe an idea of where I could get rid of them. The antique cars were easy to figure out but these pieces are giving me a hard time.
Thanks so much!

Are you sure you want to jump through these hoops for not much money?
I have a shop. Some of the stuff from when we were fighting Nazis.
Others custom special cnc grinders and custom cnc mills and lathes.
I have told the wife that if I have a heart attack to go and call this scrap metal dealer.
In my case the time and effort to sell it all off will not be worth it.
Interesting is that my state personal property statement says I have 3.9 million on the floor in equipment.
My guess is $8000 in scrap for the shop. Another $4000 in carbide scrap laying around.

Last edited:
I have told the wife that if I have a heart attack to go and call this scrap metal dealer.
Interesting is that my state personal property statement says I have 3.9 million on the floor in equipment.
My guess is $8000 in scrap for the shop. Another $4000 in carbide scrap laying around.
I want to find out as much as possible about them. It is interesting to know that they are so old. At this point in time, money is not the main objective. In fact, my brother may give them away. He could care less about them. He has given away many of the vehicles that were also on the property. I thought if they could bring any money we could give it to a charity in the area, but I wouldn't know how much to try and sell them for that is why I am asking if anyone can give me any info on them.

You might see if there's a makerspace in the area that may want them .
animal
I tried, but this is a hole-in-the-wall town, and nothing is around. I'm gonna have to post them in other areas but I have not idea what year they are. That is why I am trying to find out as much as I can about them.

I want to find out as much as possible about them. It is interesting to know that they are so old. At this point in time, money is not the main objective. In fact, my brother may give them away. He could care less about them. He has given away many of the vehicles that were also on the property. I thought if they could bring any money we could give it to a charity in the area, but I wouldn't know how much to try and sell them for that is why I am asking if anyone can give me any info on them.
Sorry, ..
That information makes your post different from many seen here before.

So to all you guys out there, isn't there a online thing for SouthBend lathe numbers.
I seem to remember looking it up on mine and it told me the original buyer and date.
Have no idea how I did it but it was from information here.
Bob

The real value might be in all the little knick knacks that are needed to run the machines, stuff that would look like boxes of junk to someone who does not know what it is. Usually a well set up machine sells for a decent amount because it has everything needed with it already.
When you take photos of the machines get a few of the entire shop if possible, if the machines are clean and rust free I would guess the owner of them kept things in good order and seeing the rest of the shop will help determine how much he cared for them. (or not if a dirty mess)

So, my brother bought a home on 12 acres with two workshops on it. It's like a time capsule, and I don't even know where to start to help him. I'm reaching out here hoping to get a start.
There is a SouthBend Lathe serial number 15744T. Can anyone tell me anything about it? There is also a Lempco crankshaft regrinder model 519 serial number 610. Then there is a Southbend Lathe CL145 D bed length 7. There is also a Bridgeport Drill press serial number J-100983 with a huge box of drill bits.

This was a working shop years ago until the owner had a heart attack. The doors were closed and it has been sitting there for years untouched. I can not even begin to list everything there. I am just curious as to what years those pieces are and maybe an idea of where I could get rid of them. The antique cars were easy to figure out but these pieces are giving me a hard time.
Thanks so much!

Back