What's new
What's new

My machine will pump coolant then it will stop and run a cycle with no coolant. Pleas Help

edit: I dont change coolant usually until around 4 year mark, maintenance baby! :D
So I have a semi-serious question : how do you keep coolant around for four years ?

All I ever do is add add add add, every time I turn around it's "make up another bucket of Trim-Sol" time .... is your four years' coolant the same as the Constitution; hull has been replaced, masts all new, rigging all new, sails all new, but she's the same ship as won the War of 1812 ? Or do you manage to actually keep the same liquid in the tank for four years ?

So I have a semi-serious question : how do you keep coolant around for four years ?
In a coolant sump, baboom! :D

All I ever do is add add add add, every time I turn around it's "make up another bucket of Trim-Sol" time .... is your four years' coolant the same as the Constitution; hull has been replaced, masts all new, rigging all new, sails all new, but she's the same ship as won the War of 1812 ? Or do you manage to actually keep the same liquid in the tank for four years ?
Of course you cant keep the same coolant for 4 years haha, you yanken my chain. shit 100% of the water evaporates per week.
That blanket statement means, I don't pull up a 55er, filler up and pay $1,000 for someone to come get it.
We do run our coolant through that Freddy whenever there is down time, sump stays clean, we wash our stock before it even goes in the saw.
All our way oils are made by the coolant mfg. so when they get in the coolant it just increases coolant concentration, so no tramp oil in our macheens.
tapping fluids and paste same, turns into coolant, no oils added to sump.
If I want to swap coolant in a machine, I let a few of them get low, then suck the one dry and put its coolant in the other machines, then clean and refill that one,
yes this is cheating in the phrase, my coolants 4 years old, because truth is, its only 4 years old now, who knows how long it will go before issues, last time I did this it was 4 years, but then we moved the whole shop,
started over with the coolant, so well see.

edit: the prior shop though was only a couple machines, so no swapping the coolant out, or into other machines,
I did run 24/7 recirculators, and air bubblers in 65 gallon vertical add on tanks with 10 micron bag filters, per machine.
As we know a liquid is far easier to maintain, and less contamination ratio, the larger the volume, and moving liquids are less likely to separate(stability, homogenous)
So each little machine still had over 100 gallons of coolant each.

Last edited:
My cnc mill used to do something like that, for a while it would turn on then stop at some point in the cycle, and sometimes not turn on at all, turned out to be loose connections in the plug for the pump, wires only barely held by tiny shitty screws.
Ended up hard wiring it, no more problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ox
I just checked my pump and coolant lines and all is good. i'm sure that it's an electrical issue at this point, any ideas?

I just checked my pump and coolant lines and all is good. i'm sure that it's an electrical issue at this point, any ideas?
Like SND said above, a LOT of time sporadic functioning means a wire is loose. If something is BROKEN broken it usually never works, so maybe check the wiring to the solenoid that allows the coolant to flow. Otherwise, the next time it stops flowing check the pump to make sure it is spinning...if it is then the solenoid valve that allows the coolant to flow is either NOT receiving the signal to open or it IS receiving the signal to open but it isn't opening because it is broken.

You could probably also check this by MDI-ing M08, M09, M08, M09, etc. until one of those M08's do not result in coolant flowing. Solenoids are pretty easy to replace...maybe try swapping the main and the sub solenoid...if the main coolant starts crapping out then bob's your uncle and you know it's the solenoid. Good luck!

Like SND said above, a LOT of time sporadic functioning means a wire is loose. If something is BROKEN broken it usually never works, so maybe check the wiring to the solenoid that allows the coolant to flow. Otherwise, the next time it stops flowing check the pump to make sure it is spinning...if it is then the solenoid valve that allows the coolant to flow is either NOT receiving the signal to open or it IS receiving the signal to open but it isn't opening because it is broken.

You could probably also check this by MDI-ing M08, M09, M08, M09, etc. until one of those M08's do not result in coolant flowing. Solenoids are pretty easy to replace...maybe try swapping the main and the sub solenoid...if the main coolant starts crapping out then bob's your uncle and you know it's the solenoid. Good luck!
Next time coolant stops. While the job is running tap in areas around electrical connection boxes/points & Valve bodies. It may help isolate the cause.

Next time coolant stops. While the job is running tap in areas around electrical connection boxes/points & Valve bodies. It may help isolate the cause.
I shit you not, an awesome old book my Dad had lying around about how to fix things said to smack something if it is acting up. That's not only for machines, either! :D

Back