What's new
What's new

My Remington 550 end receiver threads are messed up - how to fix?

I’m familiar with that gun
The easiest solution would be to chuck the receiver in a lathe and clean up the damaged threads , then make a new endcap with oversized threads to fit. Anothe option would be to cut off the old threads on the cap , weld up, and recut oversize threads on the original cap
why not just go to the 13/16-20? as you are familiar with this receiver, is there not enough wall thickness? another posted that there was plenty of meat for that.
not familiar with this action, but I'm assuming its just retaining the reciprocating parts after the bolt unlocks, but still, just on basic principles, im not using glue, no matter how expensive if it's my face behind it.

Last edited:
why not just go to the 13/16-20? as you are familiar with this receiver, is there not enough wall thickness? another posted that there was plenty of meat for that.
not familiar with this action, but I'm assuming its just retaining the reciprocating parts after the bolt unlocks, but still, just on basic principles, im not using glue, no matter how expensive if it's my face behind it.
I’m sure you could
I have one, taken it apart 100 times
Never measured the threads and not gonna
I’m just saying clean up the inside threads like you would on a receiver
Then make new or weld up the back cap and to fit
FYI you’ll never get a face full of gas with these, most you ever get is popped in the face when the threads turn loose

i will see your bubba rec. and raise you a bubba rec. . i was at a show years ago and this guy had a 550 that was in good cond. other that this home brew end cap so knowing that i had a good stripped rec. i picked it up and transferred every thing over . there is a lock that helps keep the end plug / cap on parts no. 47 , 48 , 49 but at this point it sounds like its not working do to the slop in the threads [i will never understand how someone could cross thread something like that but but they do the same with the sear spring cap part 57 if you take that out the only way its going back in straight with out cross threading is to take part of the sear assy apart ] ok so back on track here yes it would be nice to machine a new over size end cap but why ? how about under the wood line at the back of the rec. on the left side about .187 / 3/16" in from the back drill and tap a 6-32 hole for a set screw that could lock the plug / cap in . or a 6-48 scope mount screw tapped in the rec. and a relief hole in the cap or vise versa there's lots of ways to get to were you want to be

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    678.5 KB · Views: 10
i will see your bubba rec. and raise you a bubba rec. . i was at a show years ago and this guy had a 550 that was in good cond. other that this home brew end cap so knowing that i had a good stripped rec. i picked it up and transferred every thing over . there is a lock that helps keep the end plug / cap on parts no. 47 , 48 , 49 but at this point it sounds like its not working do to the slop in the threads [i will never understand how someone could cross thread something like that but but they do the same with the sear spring cap part 57 if you take that out the only way its going back in straight with out cross threading is to take part of the sear assy apart ] ok so back on track here yes it would be nice to machine a new over size end cap but why ? how about under the wood line at the back of the rec. on the left side about .187 / 3/16" in from the back drill and tap a 6-32 hole for a set screw that could lock the plug / cap in . or a 6-48 scope mount screw tapped in the rec. and a relief hole in the cap or vise versa there's lots of ways to get to were you want to be
That would probably work too, All the back cap does is keep the recoil spring aligned and in place. IMHO this gun is worth repairing properly.
FYI for those that aren't familiar, the 550 is awesome. Mine was given to me as a teenager by a family friend who passed with a ton of 22 shorts and cb caps.
I think I could put 30 plus shorts in the magazine tube which in the 80's and 90's was way better than a ruger 10/22 with a 10 rd mag. It also functioned with cb caps if it was kept cleaned and oiled.

These guns(and others) have the Williams floating chamber,which is how they can work with different power cartridges .....most here will have seen the movie,but as far as I know none of Williams ideas were used in the M1 carbine,despite popular opinion.

These guns(and others) have the Williams floating chamber,which is how they can work with different power cartridges .....most here will have seen the movie,but as far as I know none of Williams ideas were used in the M1 carbine,despite popular opinion.
To say the least, Williams had an...interesting life!

Kinda wonder how that would float today, being in prison, and allowed to work on guns and firearms prototypes!

Have heard the term "floating chamber", but had not, to my knowledge, had hands on one, or a firearm so equipped. Thanks! Read through a few articles, looked at a bunch of Patent drawings, learned a few things! Not a bad way to spend bit of time!

That would probably work too, All the back cap does is keep the recoil spring aligned and in place. IMHO this gun is worth repairing properly.
FYI for those that aren't familiar, the 550 is awesome. Mine was given to me as a teenager by a family friend who passed with a ton of 22 shorts and cb caps.
I think I could put 30 plus shorts in the magazine tube which in the 80's and 90's was way better than a ruger 10/22 with a 10 rd mag. It also functioned with cb caps if it was kept cleaned and oiled.
ya i love the remington 500 series i have over 50 of them 5 of the 550's and yes it blow peoples minds at the range when you

shot some cb there like dose it have a silencer as i don't know of another 22 semi auto that with feed cb caps vary cool one of

my favorite is my like new 513 sportier my other is a put together 513 target in mach 17 i contoured a green mountain blank

the same as a stock 513 barrel and the 17 will feed from the stock clip . so about fixing it right new will fix it so were you

going to get a replacement rec. and is your gun a pre 68 gca if so it more then likely won't have a s/n and if you have the skill

there is a lot of ways to fix it but if you don't then you could buy a lot of junkers for what it would cost to have a real craftsman

fix it properly i have been collecting parts for over 45 years and i can tell you the price of parts just keeps going up yes you

mite just find a junker but with the internet every one can be an expert just look what a good used stock for a nylon 66 goes

for on ebay 200 300 in a heart beat it can be done your just going to have to be in the right place at the right time good luck

with your quest

To say the least, Williams had an...interesting life!

Kinda wonder how that would float today, being in prison, and allowed to work on guns and firearms prototypes!

Have heard the term "floating chamber", but had not, to my knowledge, had hands on one, or a firearm so equipped. Thanks! Read through a few articles, looked at a bunch of Patent drawings, learned a few things! Not a bad way to spend bit of time!
insetting crime story in san diego ca. on one of the beaches in the mid to late 50's there was a couple [man and woman] that were murdered they figured out that it was done with a 550 from the casing that they found at the seine as when you fire a long or a long rifle round it will have a ring in the case at the floating chamber part line or the length of a short shell the colt ace has a floating chamber and i think there may have been another 22 rifle made with a floating chamber

Back