What's new
What's new

My x axis gib popped the end off and became a doorstop from hell. Anyone have any bright ideas on getting it unstuck?

xnewmanx

Aluminum
So the part of the gib that keeps it from going too far into the machine (that contacts the screw head side of the gib adjuster screw) cracked off allowing the gib to jam super tight and lock up the table.

Things I have tried:
Removed the ends that connect to the lead screw, backed the lead screw out to the left and wailed on the right side with a big ol’ urethane sledge

Used some threaded rod between the left saddle and a tab I bolted on to try to push the table to the left.

Tapping on the exposed right tip of the gib with a brass drift

Things I haven’t tried
Heat

Anyone have any other ideas?

EDIT: got it out. Ran a piece of threaded rod down the right side, under the table and grabbed the saddle. So that was under tension, the left side was in compression and then wailed on it with the urethane sledge. Fucker's out now. Here are pics in case some day someone runs into the same issue.

Attachments

• IMG_9281.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9282.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If it ever comes up again, there are a few threads out there discussing an even worse version of this, a stuck knee gib. I’ve never had to do it and it’s been a while since I read any of the threads, but IIRC the solution is to hammer the ever loving daylights out of the small end until it comes loose. That of course followed by fixing the cause.
Makes me wish all gibs had an adjuster screw at both ends like the last lathe I made an adjustment on.

At least you still have the gib. I bought a 6 axis CNC lathe. One day I leant against the tailstock while I was doing something inside the machine, the whole tailstock assembly that carries 4 gang tools and the X1 axis rocked. I went to adjust the gib and it wasn't there. The previous owner had been running the machine without the gib for a few years. Plus was no wear in the Z1 ways.

Back on topic.
I knock the small end of the gib with something soft and get someone else to load the gib in the same direction by trying to move the table while I'm hitting the gib.

Back