What's new
What's new

Narrow VMC Options

Centimeter

Plastic
Alright, I know that this is not an all too infrequent flavor of question, but I swear this is a unique variant...

I have a semi-detached row home with a narrow alley to the side that I want to get a VMC through. Because either side of the alley is my house or the neighbor's house, widening it is not an option. The narrowest it gets is 43 inches. Height is not an issue.

I know that there are a variety of compact VMC machines, like the Haas Minimill/CM, Robodrill, Speedios, and the Trak 2OP/VMC2, however only the Trak would fit down this alley without disassembling it. This may be the route to go, however I was curious if anyone knows if enough "easy to remove" stuff can be removed from the likes of a Speedio/Minimill/Robodrill to make this work? I'd rather get a mill in that could handle larger work if at all possible but I am just not sure what's possible to get through this alley. I would also rather not disassemble anything that requires special skills/tooling beyond that of one having ordinary skill in the art. I probably will just go with the Trak, but if it's possible to get one of these bigger-yet-compact VMC's through a 43in wide opening, I would like to know. I don't even know if the size is what gets me, it's more the spindle and the suspect rigidity of the Trak that turns me off-- the extra space would of course be great though.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Brother S300X2 is 42.52" according to the brochure. No disassembly required. We have one in our showroom here in SoCal that I can take pics and measurements of for you if that helps. Bonus, we have clearance pricing on these now. They have 16k rpm, 21 Tool magazine, CTSI package. Great machines.

Brother S300X2 is 42.52" according to the brochure. No disassembly required. We have one in our showroom here in SoCal that I can take pics and measurements of for you if that helps. Bonus, we have clearance pricing on these now. They have 16k rpm, 21 Tool magazine, CTSI package. Great machines.
What sort of pricing is being offered on the S300X2 right now??????? 😀

I saw this! However, I am hoping it's possible to pull something, anything off, to get it narrower. I'd hate to move an expensive machine like that into an alley with 0.48" of wiggle room... On that note, it seems that the base casting of the S500x2 is the same. Is it possible to get one of these to fit as well?

I saw this! However, I am hoping it's possible to pull something, anything off, to get it narrower. I'd hate to move an expensive machine like that into an alley with 0.48" of wiggle room... On that note, it seems that the base casting of the S500x2 is the same. Is it possible to get one of these to fit as well?
The base casting is identical, but the enclosure on the S500 is significantly wider. Like 480mm wider.

0.48" of wiggle room is fine - that is what riggers get paid the big bucks for. The spec is also inclusive of the door handles, so you have an extra 2.2" once you take those off.

I craned my No.4 Cincinnati into my place. All the riggers where charging a fortune and being difficult. Had a local crane service that usually is lifting in insert pools and stuff like that for construction. He was happy to do it to fill downtime and only charged like $500. It left later on a forklift. The guy drove it down the street. The Cincinnati liked to make and entrance and exit. That's 12k lbs floating through the air at the height of my roof :D.

Back