What's new
What's new

Need a 4 wire bulkhead connect that detaches from each side

WizardOfBoz

Diamond
All,
I have a pretty powerful workstation from a few years ago. A Dell T7910. Dual Xeon processors, 128Gb memory. I run an Nvidia 2080 Ti video card and it's pretty awesome. The one problem I have is that I upgraded my CPUs to model with the highest performance level (E5-2699A v4) that the mobo will accept. The T7910 is that it uses cpu coolers that I think were designed for a rack machine. Very compact. And the the one design flaw in that I've seen is that the cpu cooler exhaust from CPU 1 goes into the intake for CPU 2. In practice, these issues were handled by using a liquid all-in-one cooler that blows "up" (away from the mobo rather than parallel to it). It's a compact AIO and given the design's ~6 year old age I worry that any used device I get would have lost fluid and would not be reliable.

Because the unit thermally throttles when I let her rip on a tough computational problem, I'd like to install modern AIO liquid coolers. The problem with that is that anything that is reasonably high performance (e.g. 2 120 or 140mm fans) is probably too big to fit inside the cabinet. And doing so would require me to remove a bunch of air ducts and other fans. Installing a custom cooling solution is several hundred bucks per CPU* and would have a lot of plumbing fittings that could leak. So I've decided to buy an AIO unit, cut the tubes and the power wires from the cooling block (on the cpu) to the radiator fan assembly an will install that assembly on top of my unit, side by side. The plan is to use barbed bulkhead fittings with hose clamps for passing the tubes through the top of the unit. But I have to get the wires to the fans through the cabinet top, too. I'd like to have a bulkhead connector that has plugs on both sides. That is, the electrical connection for each of the two units would have easily removed inner and outer plugs, and both would plug into a more permanent bulkhead fitting. Any ideas? Thanks!

BTW, I was thinking of using G 1/4 thread (I think its the same as BSPP) fittings to go through the case but 1) it would be way more expensive than two-barb fittings, 2) I'm not sure if the G 1/4 hose fittings allow rotation to be easily screwed in and 3) I think that a barbed fitting with a hose clamp for really low (3psig max) pressure is more reliable.

*On the plus side I would have tubes with colored coolant illuminated by LED lights.

I'd probably use DE9 gender-benders or Socket Savers

1670802706916.png
If you don't want any extra pins, you could use 4-pin Minidins, but those can be a pain to solder the wires to the actual connectors that would plug in to the feedthru.
1670802858751.png

Thanks all. I'll take a look at all these. I'm trying now to figure out the best plates to mount stuff on. The idea is to mount the cooling blocks on the cpu and to have the hoses go through the top of the unit (either by a union in the hose, or via a bulkhead fitting. Then the units will be mounted side by side on top of the box. So I need a plate to mount the fans on and a cover plate over the top of the fans. I'm thinking carbon fiber (light and strong) but that stuff is expensive! The design is going to be the fans bolting to a plate blowing up (or I just thought of them blowing sideways... Hmmm). Anyway, I want a plate on top so that stuff can't be dropped into the radiators. Ideally I can find something in the 300mm x 400mm size that will not be too dear. Thanks again...

Back