What's new
What's new

Need a new lathe chuck that won’t break the bank

Newt8411

Plastic
I’m in need of a new chuck for my 20 x 60 Victor lathe. Wandering what is a decent chuck without spending thousands of dollars. Like to get at least a 10 inch for it. And if I measured everything right it takes a D1-8 cam lock. It’s got a 3 inch hole through the spindle end so I’d like to get close to that. Any suggestions on a decent 10 inch chuck just mainly for use where I work. I’m a heavy equipment mechanic with this lathe and a Bridgeport I use to make bushings and suck. So thanks for any info.

. . .Wondering what is a decent chuck without spending thousands of dollars. .

I've had good luck with Bison products made in Poland. A new, quality chuck of the size you want is going to cost thousands, and quality is worth a certain cost. How many thousands is what's to be determined. There is nothing wrong with going used if you can find a reputable seller or take a look at the chuck in person.

I happened into 3, NOS Bison lathe chucks. D1-8, 10". Thru hole is a tickle over 3" per my snap gage. 1pc jaws is the only kicker.

They have some staining, but the cross hatch is still visible on the jaws and they are tight.

Programmed via Mazatrol
8d5e905d93427eb75b8683fa31be1b58.jpg
3c8b14b0281fe1ab6bbbbc147ccad249.jpg
b3e0fe9f41463f12914c17cc96c32ec1.jpg

Last edited:
If you can find a NOS Bison, cushman, Buck, etc or very slightly used, go for it for your main chuck. I've bought several used chucks and while getting them to .003-.005 is fairly easy, getting them to .001 and repeatable is really hard - at least for me. An independent chuck is a better used choice but a nice NOS scroll chuck is a worth some extra money. I finally found a NOS Biron 6 jaw set tru for about 2/3 new. I'd have been happy with a four jaw scroll but you take the deal you find sometimes. Dave

I've used a lot of different chuck brands over the years but a 8" 6 jaw buck was one of my favorites . I would use it with 3 or 6 jaws depending on what i was turning , and the TIR was really accurate when using the same pinion hole when gripping the part. Another chuck i liked was a Seoam chuck i knew nothing about it but impressed about how good it was , as i worked for buck a number of years

I’ve always been a fan of Bison for decent chucks that are relatively affordable. Especially their set-tru chucks which I would absolutely go for if you’re going the 3-jaw route!

Back