What's new
What's new

Need help finding 30ft tubing 4" OD

GShydraulics

Plastic
Hello

I was seeing if anyone knows a place that sells tubing up to 31ft long with 4"OD and a wall thickness of .375" or .500".

This tube will be used for a hydraulic rod. After I receive it I already have a place that will chrome it. I just can't find a piece of tubing.

I am in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.

Hello

I was seeing if anyone knows a place that sells tubing up to 31ft long with 4"OD and a wall thickness of .375" or .500".

This tube will be used for a hydraulic rod. After I receive it I already have a place that will chrome it. I just can't find a piece of tubing.

I am in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania.
Come up I-79 to Erie.
"American Hollow Boring"

Try Scot Industries. Hydraulic components is what they do.
I'm incredibly surprised that Scott didn't have anything available or even close to the size needed. May not have been the grade of material requested. There's also a place in Houston called Tube Supply, you might try them, too.

Last resort, get a 4" OD solid bar thirty-one foot long and have a hole trepanned in it to your needs. Yes, expensive but you will get what you are looking for. Is the ID honed to a specific size? Or is the ID just for weight reduction? Ken

We have cylinder suppliers that splice rod and bore tubing when supply chain issues preclude getting the material in the correct length for long telescopic cylinders. I'm not exactly sure the process used for welding but it's a 100% penetration weld, x-rayed, then the turn/bore and grind/hone it. They do not derate the spliced cylinders compared to the normal one.

I'm not super useful here but long hydraulics are kind of interesting to me. You said that this would be a hydraulic rod. Will this be the type of single acting cylinder with a single rod end seal that holds all pressure, and the oil fills the rod and pushes against the end cap of the rod and end cap of the cylinder? A quick calculation says this rod would buckle at 3500 pounds if it were used structurally without being pressurized internally.

We have cylinder suppliers that splice rod and bore tubing when supply chain issues preclude getting the material in the correct length for long telescopic cylinders. I'm not exactly sure the process used for welding but it's a 100% penetration weld, x-rayed, then the turn/bore and grind/hone it. They do not derate the spliced cylinders compared to the normal one.
I would have to guess it would be a friction weld type of thing to join the 2 pieces.

I would have to guess it would be a friction weld type of thing to join the 2 pieces.
Pipes are often joined will full penetration from the outside in. Bore welding it with a machine would also be an option. The advantage to that is that a bulge on the ID isn't an issue. The rod end is welded on and experiences what I would expect to be the highest loading of anywhere on the rod, so I don't think a homogenous weld is required.

Back