What's new
What's new

Need help identifying and locating information on a Moog MHP CNC machine

Let's have some fun...

Welcome to "The Weight is Right!"

The user to correctly guess the weight of this machine, without going over, wins some free (lightly used) tooling of your choice (taps, end mills, drills, etc...) that I will ship to you at no charge.

Reply with your guesses.

I'll figure out the weight in about 15 days. (building a custom load-cell scale)

Good luck.

3864.73 lbs

Hi Dave,

This Moog seems to be more modern. Not sure if it's all original, some parts are definitely not like the fairly newer looking Toshiba VFD. The tag on the inside of the electrical cabinet says the machine was commissioned in 1991. It has DC servo motors with encoders on all axis. So far I could only verify that the x-axis has a lead screw. The Y and Z are buried inside the machine and may require some disassembly. I spoke to the operator of this machine and he kinda said the same. It works well but has quirks and needs TLC. He even mentioned the sticky tool changer arm.

The machine has two serial ports for computer transfers or drip feeding. Or of course you could program it from the terminal but I don't think I'll be doing that much.

Currently I have the machine sitting outside my garage. I still need to remove some parts in order to fit it through the door. Then I have to figure out how I'm going to resolve my lack of 3 phase power. Either get a converter or a generator or convert the machine to single phase.

I have a bunch more pictures to upload but it seems any post with a picture takes close to 24 hours to show up in the thread. Is this normal?

I will keep posting updates as things move along..

Cheers!

No, it's not really normal for a pic to take 24 hours before it uploads, unless you have a really slow upload speed. I wish you luck on this machine. The machines are a really great idea, but not a good reputation. It would be fun to play with though.

Sounds like you know your way around electronics so I think you got a smokin deal. I'm looking for a similar machine to give to some young guys that want to build a mill just so they can fit a Linux control.
OK back to work

Hey msinko,

I believe that my engineering manager picked up the other MOOG at the auction you got yours at. We did not receive any manuals with the one we got. I am very interested in the digitized manuals if you have them.

thank you,

Hey msinko,

I believe that my engineering manager picked up the other MOOG at the auction you got yours at. We did not receive any manuals with the one we got. I am very interested in the digitized manuals if you have them.

thank you,

Hey Soundmfg,

What a small world! I actually received many duplicates which probably belong with your manager's S-24. I got the T-24.

I would be more than happy to send you your manuals and duplicate the ones that are missing. I know how hard it is to get info on these machines.

I'll be busy for the holiday weekend but will touch base afterwards.

Also, I apologize to the general community for the lack of updates. Life happened and the machine is still sitting where I left it months ago, non-powered. Soon...

Have a Happy 4th!!!

Awesome, thank you msinko. Enjoy your 4th and we will touch base next week.

thanks again,

I apologize for the wait. I went through the manuals and found a bunch of duplicates. I have the following spare manuals:

-S24 / S10 Maintenance manual
-Manual for table and spindle probes
-Hydrapath III operating manual
-Partial Hydrapath III programming manual - first 3.5 chapters

I have the same set except I have the full programming manual.

I'd be happy to send these over to your boss if he wants them.

Let me know!

IMG_9260.jpg

Hi Msinko,

thanks for getting back to me. I will send you a private message with a UPS account you can ship the manuals to us against.

thanks again,

Thanks for the info Marcus.

I am 99% sure this is NOT a hydraulic/servovalve machine. From the pictures each axis has what looks like a servo motor and encoder(the y-axis motor is inside the knee). All lines look like electrical conduit not hydraulic hose.

And for the naysayers, this machine was set to run a large commercial job but the sole proprietor of the machine shop died before starting it. And yes, I am very well aware that this ($400 LMAO) machine will not be competitive with a modern machining center. LOL

This machine came from a shop in upstate NY. They also had another Moog MHP machine, model S-0, at this site but it did not have a tool changer.

I'll be able to give you a full overview of the machine when I get it back to my shop later this week.

Cheers!
Hi i got mhp S-0 model recently but have no manual or other documentation. Please help me out if you know anything about it. Similar to one in pictures with hydra-path III controls. Powers on axes work but spindle doesn't spin. Maybe i do something wrong. Please help. Im located in brooklyn, NY. My cell # is 9164777498

I apologize for the wait. I went through the manuals and found a bunch of duplicates. I have the following spare manuals:

Let me know!

View attachment 329710
I want them) please

Let me know!

View attachment 329710
by any chance do you have pdf version? [email protected]

Let me know!

View attachment 329710
Quick update...Jackpot! The machine came with a stack of manuals, I got:

Hydra-path III Programming manual
Hydra-path III operating manual
Toshiba inverter/VFD manual
Operating instructions for table and spindle mounted probes x2 <-what is this????
Maintenance manual x2
Electrical schematics

I am willing to digitize and share, just let me know what you want.

The only negative thing I found out so far is that the X axis is a lead-screw, not a ball screw. oh well. At least the electrical cabinet was in mint condition.
Please let me have first two and last two

[email protected]

Back