What's new
What's new

Need help IDing cutters

Mikalius

Plastic
I recently won an auction of 200#+ of various milling cutters. As I'm sorting through them all today, I've got a lot of cutters (50+) I have NO idea what they're used for (or even called). Google searches aren't turning too much up, so I figured many of you here will know what they are. Most are Brown & Sharpe, and labelled with a size #, a size range and what I'm assuming is a tooth count. Cutting face is a compound convex shape.... Representative photos below. Anyone know what I've got here???

PXL_20220925_153353486.jpgPXL_20220925_153400579.jpg

Man, the function is stamped right on the cutter!!! This one is for cutting reamer teeth. Specifically reamers 1/2 to 11/16" in diameter, with 6 to 8 teeth.
If you aren't making reamers or similar cutting tools, not much use to you.
I have a horizontal mill, a tool-and-cutter grinder, and might have a use for some of these. Where are you (your profile does not state your location, and it is supposed to)? And are you interested in thinning out your collection of these?

Guys making few-up reamers may be a market. Chambering reamers.
Advertise in the gunsmithing forum might get a hit/buyer.
The chambering reamers that I made were made from altered standards.

Do you have any 9/32 to 5/16? (more popular size)

(X) Looks like yours have been resharpened, and perhaps dull, look at them with a loupe to tell if dull. dull likely not much market for them, except to make spacers, What is the hole ID and width?

Send the cutter photo to.. tell them Kelly Road Camp Buck recommend the contact.

Last edited:
Man, the function is stamped right on the cutter!!! This one is for cutting reamer teeth. Specifically reamers 1/2 to 11/16" in diameter, with 6 to 8 teeth.
If you aren't making reamers or similar cutting tools, not much use to you.
I have a horizontal mill, a tool-and-cutter grinder, and might have a use for some of these. Where are you (your profile does not state your location, and it is supposed to)? And are you interested in thinning out your collection of these?
Thanks; I had an inkling that is what they are for, but there's almost zero info out there on them. After I posted this, I found a brief mention in the B&S Handbook for Young Machinists which described it as a 'formed cutter' (vs. form cuttter) for fluting taps, reamers and twist drills.

I'll send you a PM; I'm in Pennsylvania, so don't imagine a local pickup will work, but can certainly ship, depending upon what I've got that you might be interested in.

Mike

Do you have any 9/32 to 5/16? (more popular size)

(X) Looks like yours have been resharpened, and perhaps dull, look at them with a loupe to tell if dull. dull likely not much market for them, except to make spacers, What is the hold and width?
I've only sorted this stash by arbor size (mostly 1" and 1.25"). I'll sort out all of these specialty cutters and get a good inventory together. The one in the pic has definitely seen a not-too-gentle touch with a grinder... Hopefully most of the remaining ones will be in better shape

New/undamaged would be Ok/good, resharpened twice not much value as likely one resharp left.
Half inch/50 cal. not as useful as 30 cal.

The one in the photo is about .15 a pound scrap HSS...or useful for spacers making.
*Don't bother Clymer if the photo quality is the best you have.
Buck.

Last edited:
Worse, if they don't have "HSS" marked on them, they are most likely carbon steel cutters and would have to be run quite slowly to get any decent cutter life from them.

AS mentioned,cutters with the new land on the edge......and razor sharp ....sell for $10............no one will buy a cutter like the pic.....put it in a bucket with 100 others ,and sell them at a bike swap for $1 each..................see if you have any gear cutters ....they do sell ,especially if there is a few the same pitch............

I have to gently disagree with john.k about this. Maybe his statement is accurate for Australia, but this type of formed cutter rarely comes on the used market in the US, and new prices are more like $150-250. They are now longer a stock item, so are produced on demand, even if they are still in a catalog.
While used, the cutter in the photo has lots of life left in it. It can probably be sharpened another ten times without pushing things at all.
So what's the value of the cutter? If you don't have a use for it, nothing. These are not collectables. If you do have a use for it, and you have the means to sharpen it, (and that's a rather small group), then something like $10-25 would be a very fine price.

Back