What's new
What's new

Need help learning True Trace/making it work

Deerhurst

Aluminum
I have a big ol BP tracer mill (9x60 table) from 1980 with Synchro Trace 2 and finally got it powered last night.

I know the system works (or worked) as I ran it as power feeds at the shop I bought it from before I purchased. It's got manual controls so I can use it in the meantime. Mostly want it for power feeds but I do have tracer plans in the future.

Tried to test the hydro power feeds last night, spindle off (in "Setup") and spindle on. No movement from any axis. Tried to run Z up and down using the "Retract" "Trace" knob on the tracer head. It didn't move. When selecting a power feed direction and hitting "Run" I can hear something clunk. I think it's a hydro solenoid but still no movement. Yes, the motors on the axis are engaged.

It appears to have pressure since I can mess with the tracer nubbin and see one of the hydro lines wiggle.

The X and Y limit switches will light up the over travel indicator when hit but Z does not. Z limit switches checks out fine at the switch. I need to check it in the panel.

I've never heard of a tracer mill before I found this one and documentation is very scarce. I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Any other suggestions?

So nobody here has run one of these or can figure out how to dignose it? I find that hard to believe.

Edit: Well, figured it out. It helps to make sure the phases are right so the motor turns the right way....

Last edited:

Back