What's new
What's new

Need help locating a hand FILE...

John from NY

Aluminum
A few months ago I came across a hand file that had a beautiful shape to it... It was like two HALF ROUND files put together! Not a round file it was slightly oval with cutting teeth on all sides. I have seen something called "CROSSING" listed but that was a needle file. The file I saw was about 9 inches in length and about 1 inch wide and aprox 1/4 inch thick. Can you help? Thanks much!

I have the exact same file your talking about, it has the shape of a dagger and gets into anyplace! Unfortunatly, I can't remember where I bought it!!! :D Only kidding! seriously, when I moved into this house the former owner was going to throw everything in the basement out, and after looking aroung I said "I'd" clean it no extra charge and found a lot of extra goodies like a large collection of files including the dagger in excellent condition! One mans junk , another mans jems!!

Steve

That is a crossing file. Crossing files can be obtained in sizes from needle files up to 10 or 12 inches. They are used frequently in clockmaking. They also come in different cuts. The raduis of each side is different for each length file so the radii of a 10 inch file for example will be much larger than that for a needle file.

I know a source, but I'll have to sneak up on my memory, as I just can't remember the name at the moment......I'll be back with the company's name.

Mike

John,

The name came to me!

Take a look at this site, they have just about any type of file you may wantincluding a selection of crossing files: http://www.shorinternational.com/Files.htm

This is where I buy my files.

I have found that pippin files help with transitioning and blending arcs to arcs and arcs to straight runs.

BTW, I'm in Flushing.

Mike

http://www.boggstool.com/

File this in your "Favorites" folder under "Files and Filing"

My other suggestion is to visit any local flea markets. Nobody seems to "appreciate" files these days. Perfectly good old ones are often sold for a dollar a piece or less at Flea Markets. A handful "followed me home" over the weekend, including one large worn-out one that I bought for the beautiful turned boxwood handle that was attached to it.

John Ruth

Thanks so very much guys... I think I am going to have a hard time parting with forty dollars for a file... I want that file though... =) Mike Do you pay that?

Hi John,

It's been a while since I bought files. I remember paying about $25 to $30. I thought $30 was high, but on the other hand, there is no other hand way to cross wheels properly, or finish off a skeleton clock for example. I tried doing the work with the less expensive stock shapes, but the work just does not come out properly. I have accumulated a nice selection of new and used files over the years, and I handle them with as much care as I do my HLV-H. I agree with South Bend, most don’t appreciate files.

I often wonder how much longer such files will be made.

I never cease to be amazed at how much expertise there is on this board.....Boggs looks very interesting, I didn’t know about Frei and Borel, and I’m embarrassed to say, although I am well aware of MSC for machining tools and supplies, I never thought to look at MSC for buying a tool I’d use in my “clock making” activities.

Mike

By the way, I have not dressed my crossing files as some clock makers do to facilitate getting into corners. I've resisted this temptation and usually take extra time and use dressed needle files to finish off my corners. I just can't seem to get my hands to bring the file to the grinding wheel....

Mike

I read (many years ago) that you could use nitric acid to sharpen a file.
Clean and degrease file. Paint it with nitric and lightly wipe the file on cloth.
The theory being that the nitric will attack the steel but by removing the acid from the 'top' of the teeth the acid only etchs below.
Just a thought - never done it myself

Rod

Back