What's new
What's new

Need help removing Hendey spindle

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
I have a Hendey-Norton 1B Universal mining machine that I'm restoring. It has a stuck spindle. I believe Hendeyman said the spindle section (it has a tapered spindle) was just like the lathe. I have a picture of the headstock and the instructions for removing the spindle but they reference collar A, guard K, collar L, collar E, etc, etc but the picture doesn't have (or I can't see) any labels. I think the PDF I'm referencing is John's best copy, but maybe there is one that has the labels? https://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/hendey/1920-Hendey-manual.pdf

Collar A is the brass collar just behind the chuck on a lathe. Guard K would be the cover over the gear at the outboard end of the spindle. Collar L is the gear retaining collar at the outboard end of the spindle. Collar E is the collar at the small end of the cone pulley between the spindle bearings.

Here is a clearer picture...

Screenshot_20230111-075335_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

I believe 'J' is the outboard gear, and 'I' would be the collar that retains the tapered spindle sleeve. I think...

Maybe it will help some...

-Bear

Last edited:
The spindle is out! Thanks for everyone's help. I had to hit the spindle really, really hard to get it out. I think the rear bearing is stuck and that was what was holding it up. I hated to hit it so hard but it wasn't moving and I decided it was either coming out and could be used again or it was off to the scrap yard for the old girl. It certainly wasn't going to be useful sitting in the shop with a spindle that wouldn't turn. Below are some pictures of it. I'm pointing to an area that I believe is pretty badly galled. I believe that would be right at the back of the cone pulley. I don't know if that was the problem or not. It does appear to me that the bearing 10 is not turning inside 8 and 9, so I think that would be another issue.
IMG_3385.jpeg
Thanks again for the super fast help!

Attachments

• IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    741.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3384.jpeg
    IMG_3384.jpeg
    723.9 KB · Views: 9
The spindle is out! Thanks for everyone's help. I had to hit the spindle really, really hard to get it out. I think the rear bearing is stuck and that was what was holding it up. I hated to hit it so hard but it wasn't moving and I decided it was either coming out and could be used again or it was off to the scrap yard for the old girl. It certainly wasn't going to be useful sitting in the shop with a spindle that wouldn't turn. Below are some pictures of it. I'm pointing to an area that I believe is pretty badly galled. I believe that would be right at the back of the cone pulley. I don't know if that was the problem or not. It does appear to me that the bearing 10 is not turning inside 8 and 9, so I think that would be another issue.
View attachment 383741
Thanks again for the super fast help!
Does the rear (left end) of cone pulley run on spindle there?

Does the rear (left end) of cone pulley run on spindle there?
That is my first impression. I will verify tomorrow. I was able to get the rear bearing out. The bearing 10 looks fine but 8 and 9 have what I think is dried grease on them in a couple of places. Very difficult to get off. The front bearings have the same stuff. I guess someone filled it with grease at some point late in life. The rear brass collar on the front was absolutely packed with swarf.
IMG_3390.jpeg

I have had my cone head lathe apart many times and the bull gear is what is tight on the spindle for me. Once I got the lathe back together, the floating journal for the left bearing didn't turn consistently under power; it spun on the spindle. I made a key to fit it. I have photos and have intended to post some of my efforts but am never satisfied with my explanation of work like that.

Thanks for sharing that. Unlike the mill, my lathe had straight bearings so when I removed the spindle it lifted out with the bull gear. I then used a press to get the spindle out of the bull gear and it took some effort there. I'm sure that was the issue getting the spindle out of the mill since, obviously, it had to come out of the bull gear. I think mystery solved.
My rear bearing (left) is keyed to the spindle, so maybe they changed that.

Back