What's new
What's new

Need help with 3 Axis SolidWorks CAM

it has more than the 2.5 axis, 3 + 2 and HSM
3+2 is pre positional 4 or 5 axis movements. HSM is Volumill in CAMWorks. Neither are going to do what the OP is looking to do. he needs the Advanced 3 Axis toolpaths.....

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 4
I have SW CAM pro and it still doesn't have any meaningful 3 axis stuff. SW CAM pro does have some nice features though- Volumill, Assemblies, and 4th positioning. All these things I use. Really, the reason I haven't made the change is that I haven't needed much real 3 axis stuff anyway. If there was another tier in SW to get some more 3 axis it would be nice though.

I have SW CAM pro and it still doesn't have any meaningful 3 axis stuff. SW CAM pro does have some nice features though- Volumill, Assemblies, and 4th positioning. All these things I use. Really, the reason I haven't made the change is that I haven't needed much real 3 axis stuff anyway. If there was another tier in SW to get some more 3 axis it would be nice though.
Someone with just SolidWorksCAM would have to compare, but I believe you probably have the 3X Mill L1 and not the L2, you may be able to add just that module.

I would reach out to your reseller and see if they have an add on option just for more 3 axis surfacing options. CAMWorks changed their modules with these bundle options and adding SolidWorksCAM so I don't know what they still allow for adding modules.

@Pete Deal What does the SWCAM Pro cost?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3
I don't remember how much it was. I got it when SW initially came out with their CAM/CAMworks offering. Maybe $2-2.5K? I did contact CAMworks at one point. In fact my initial VAR for SW wasn't a CAMworks rep so I changed to one that is.

So I've been on and off with My solidworks rep and technical support and we did find a solution for what i want to do.

The first thing we tried is changing the X machining direction under the axis tab when editing the definition on a mill setup. Its usually set at zero but we tried changing it to 90 degrees but it DID NOT work as desired. Actually it made no changes to the toolpath at all.

The second thing we tried which ended up working is actually using a 2.5 axis op called a curved feature and then just using the pattern feature to pattern the toolpath over x amount of times to cover the whole part. This is what you will see in the attached picture.
This works for what i need it to do but if you were now to have a slope going on both axis (X and Y simultaneously), it would not work.

Ultimately, they do not offer a option to change the direction of the toolpath with the Z-Level feature on Solidworks Cam standard. I did ask why not because it doesn't seem overly complicated but didn't really get too much of an answer.

I also asked what a rough estimate would be to get the Solidworks Professional milling bundle which would included all the 3 axis features and it would cost upwards of 10-15K. I believe this is CAMWorks but i dont know for sure as this was a quick question over a phone call.

So this will work for what i need it to do and hopefully help someone else if they run into this issue but I'm by far not impressed that there isn't just a darn button that i could press and it would switch the direction. But alas.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-13 161914.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-13 161914.png
    520.6 KB · Views: 7
So I've been on and off with My solidworks rep and technical support and we did find a solution for what i want to do.

The first thing we tried is changing the X machining direction under the axis tab when editing the definition on a mill setup. Its usually set at zero but we tried changing it to 90 degrees but it DID NOT work as desired. Actually it made no changes to the toolpath at all.

The second thing we tried which ended up working is actually using a 2.5 axis op called a curved feature and then just using the pattern feature to pattern the toolpath over x amount of times to cover the whole part. This is what you will see in the attached picture.
This works for what i need it to do but if you were now to have a slope going on both axis (X and Y simultaneously), it would not work.

Ultimately, they do not offer a option to change the direction of the toolpath with the Z-Level feature on Solidworks Cam standard. I did ask why not because it doesn't seem overly complicated but didn't really get too much of an answer.

I also asked what a rough estimate would be to get the Solidworks Professional milling bundle which would included all the 3 axis features and it would cost upwards of 10-15K. I believe this is CAMWorks but i dont know for sure as this was a quick question over a phone call.

So this will work for what i need it to do and hopefully help someone else if they run into this issue but I'm by far not impressed that there isn't just a darn button that i could press and it would switch the direction. But alas.
Who is your reseller? $10-15k does not sound right. Unless you are buying an additional seat of SolidWorks as well, but I am assuming you have SolidWorks already?

I just recently had my reseller, Hawk Ridge Systems quote:

CAMWorks Mill Standard - $5775 + $1575 Subs
CAMWorks Mill Pro - $7875 + $1975 Subs

Both of these packages include Advanced 3 Axis Toolpaths

If you wanted to send your model over, and tell me where you need the WCS and feeds and speeds, I could program it correctly and send you a NC file.

See thats why i am not sure what he meant because according to your prices, what he told me is alot more. So we must've been talking about something different.
But i dont think he meant another seat on top of this one because we do have multiple solidworks seats and wouldn't require another one. But i might contact him and ask what all is included in that package.

I do appreciate the offer to program it for me but as this is more just a test piece, i wont bother you with it. But your offer is much appreciated.
The solution we reached will work for me for the time being.

I would just buy Fusion 360 and you'll get HSMWorks free which runs inside SW, has all the 3D toolpaths for under $700\year and a slew of free posts. been using it since 2012 before AD bought them.

On 2/22/24 Camworks did a webinar on their CAM. This time it was in their words an advanced webinar. Really it wasn't too advanced but it was beyond beginner. It did a good job showing the features of the different CAM levels starting with SW CAM basic and up. It was worth the watch and gave some decent coverage to what was discussed in this thread. I did get an email with a link to the recording of it (link below). Not sure if it will generally work. You do need to put in a name and email to watch.

Back