What's new
What's new

Need help with the computer on my centroid CNC control

After 12 or so years of trouble free use something has failed in the control. when I power it up the computer is dead, no screen, no lights on any of the buttons, no cooling fans. There is 115V at the power supply plug. I figured the power supply failed so I got a new one, no improvement. The fan in the old power supply was dead and the fan on the new one is dead as well. I figured the fan is at line voltage, is it not? I have no idea what to look at next, ideas anyone?

A "standard" computer power supply died, and you got a replacement and it doesn't work either? What's inbetween the wall socket and the power supply? Did you use the same cord as the old one? Have you check its continuity?

It is just a pc running windows right?

My guess is the power supply fan is 5v or 12v DC.

No beep from the motherboard when you hit the power button? Maybe a bad power switch? Try jumping the header pins in the motherboard that the power switch is connected to. If no beep from the motherboard and you know the power supply is good the motherboard it's probably dead.

It is just a pc running windows right?

My guess is the power supply fan is 5v or 12v DC.

No beep from the motherboard when you hit the power button? Maybe a bad power switch? Try jumping the header pins in the motherboard that the power switch is connected to. If no beep from the motherboard and you know the power supply is good the motherboard it's probably dead.
There is no Power switch on the cabinet with the monitor, axis controls and key board. When you turn on the main switch the cord that powers the power supply goes from 0 volts to 115 volts. Looks like a normal PC but it runs Linux.

After 12 or so years of trouble free use something has failed in the control. when I power it up the computer is dead, no screen, no lights on any of the buttons, no cooling fans. There is 115V at the power supply plug. I figured the power supply failed so I got a new one, no improvement. The fan in the old power supply was dead and the fan on the new one is dead as well. I figured the fan is at line voltage, is it not? I have no idea what to look at next, ideas anyone?
I have the same system and my power supply also died.
Test that the power supply turns on before installing it in the cabinet.
Mine did not until I read the instructions that say that the green wire needs to be grounded to turn on the power supply. My power supply would not come on remotely (only with the switch) until I did so.

I have the same system and my power supply also died.
Test that the power supply turns on before installing it in the cabinet.
Mine did not until I read the instructions that say that the green wire needs to be grounded to turn on the power supply. My power supply would not come on remotely (only with the switch) until I did so.
I got it going! The power supply was fine. I called Bill Myers at CNC Services East. When I bought my Centroid control I bought it from him, I installed it and he came to my shop, commissioned it and Trained me. He is a real stand up guy. I told him what it did, he said the power supply was fine, the problem was a little coin battery on the motherboard. New battery and a few hours changing a few items in the CMOS and it is up and running again. Change the battery, it should be a CR2032. If you need the instructions for resetting the CMOS PM me your email and I'll send them.

Back