What's new
What's new

Need Info on Craftex Lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercrazy

Plastic
I have recently acquired a Craftex B441 metal lathe. I have been searching for info on this machine but have been unsuccessful. The machine works and seems to have medium to light use in its life. I would like to find a parts break down to order replacement items and a operators manual if possible. If anyone has any info on this lathe or info where I can locate this information it would be greatly appreciated !!

Thank you

Looks like a generic Taiwan lathe that a Canadian importer sold with the Craftex label. Find the importer if you can and then see if they can help with information and parts. The same lathe may have been sold in the USA with names like Jet and ENCO and MSC, but there were more than one factory in Taiwan making very similar lathes.

Maybe Busy Bee Tools is the importer. But the B441 is probably an old model, maybe circa 1980.

Larry

Thank you, I talked to Busy Bee and they sent me a couple of sheets with expanded parts pictures but no part numbers.

Thank you, I talked to Busy Bee and they sent me a couple of sheets with expanded parts pictures but no part numbers.
Part numbers are useless when there is no source from which to order parts. Think of it as an antique for which you will have to repair, make or adapt your own replacements, or do without if that is not possible.

As for manuals, there was probably no manual supplied with that lathe when it was new. Metal lathes are similar enough that most turning can be done without a manual specific to the machine. The lathe itself should have labels on the spindle speed controls and thread pitch/feed controls. If you need basic "How to Run a Lathe" information, South Bend, Atlas and one or two other makers published good books on the subject, some free on the Internet.

The 1958 edition of the South Bend book, in two sections:

Larry

This will probably be locked soon, check the rules at the top of the page.

You could reword your post or try at: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php
Terry, that lathe is not in the forbidden class, so I see no reason to lock the thread. Look at the old auction listing for a Craftex B441 lathe in post #2. Looks like a 12 or 14 inch swing gear head. It is not a Craftsman lathe.

Larry

Terry, that lathe is not in the forbidden class, so I see no reason to lock the thread. Look at the old auction listing for a Craftex B441 lathe in post #2. Looks like a 12 or 14 inch swing gear head. It is not a Craftsman lathe.

Larry

Ooops, sorry buddy, I saw "Craftex" and my brain saw a benchtop 7 x 12 at Bust Bee (Canada's Grizzly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back