What's new
What's new

Need Macro for Renishaw tool break detection

Wowzerz182

Plastic
Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can offer advise or point me in the right direction here... I have a new 2023 Smart SV2 with the Primo part probe and 3DTS tool setter. Fanuc control Oi-MF. I have the Renishaw tool break cycle loaded on the machine however I do not have the Macro from Smart CNC to run the tool break detection program. When trying to run the cycle i get alarm "MC3091 MACRO OPTION NOT AVAILABLE" . I talked to my machine dealer and they said they do not offer the macro for the tool break detection and that no customers have asked for it which is total BS... Trying to get ahold of someone from Renishaw but no luck yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20240224_145801.jpg
    20240224_145801.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20240306_104702.jpg
    20240306_104702.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • 20240306_104741.jpg
    20240306_104741.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20240306_104811.jpg
    20240306_104811.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240306_124445.jpg
    20240306_124445.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
Tool break detection is a really easy macro to program. Rapid to .1" off the tool setter top, feed as fast as you're comfortable to .01" below the tool setter top, check the tool setter status word to make sure it's on. if it is, continue, if not throw an error and stop.

Tool break detection is a really easy macro to program. Rapid to .1" off the tool setter top, feed as fast as you're comfortable to .01" below the tool setter top, check the tool setter status word to make sure it's on. if it is, continue, if not throw an error and stop.
Would you have an example macro for this? I'm fairly new to macro programming.

This is for a Haas, but the Fanuc flavor should be similar:

I'd reach out directly to Renishaw... Although they may have a lot more support for Haas machines, since this is a commonly bought add on, they have a few custom routines that work with whatever comes directly from the CNC manufacturer. I was able to get a rapid tool check, which differed from the pre installed tool check macro.

The original macro would feed all the way down, where as the quick tool check made a rapid move to .200 above the tool setter and then fed down. This clearance height is modifiable, at your own risk.

I forget how I reached out to Renishaw but they definitely are insanely helpful. They helped out with custom probing tips... We were able to put a .020 ruby tip on one of our probes that surprisingly gave accurate results. They suggested slowing down the feed rates for the routines, which for Haas is in a settings macro.

I'd reach out directly to Renishaw... Although they may have a lot more support for Haas machines, since this is a commonly bought add on, they have a few custom routines that work with whatever comes directly from the CNC manufacturer. I was able to get a rapid tool check, which differed from the pre installed tool check macro.

The original macro would feed all the way down, where as the quick tool check made a rapid move to .200 above the tool setter and then fed down. This clearance height is modifiable, at your own risk.

I forget how I reached out to Renishaw but they definitely are insanely helpful. They helped out with custom probing tips... We were able to put a .020 ruby tip on one of our probes that surprisingly gave accurate results. They suggested slowing down the feed rates for the routines, which for Haas is in a settings macro.
I meant to post an update to this but I did as you mentioned and Renishaw was able to help diagnose the issue with the program and we got a work around in place. Just frustrating that I had to do the work myself with no support from smart machine tool other than they wanted to sell me a different 5k tool breakage detection system. I will have to reach out to them again about the smaller ruby tips as the standard 6mm can be an issue for some setups. Thanks!

I meant to post an update to this but I did as you mentioned and Renishaw was able to help diagnose the issue with the program and we got a work around in place. Just frustrating that I had to do the work myself with no support from smart machine tool other than they wanted to sell me a different 5k tool breakage detection system. I will have to reach out to them again about the smaller ruby tips as the standard 6mm can be an issue for some setups. Thanks!
Again I would deal with renishaw for that. Glad you got it going . happy chip making

Hello everyone,

Hopefully someone can offer advise or point me in the right direction here... I have a new 2023 Smart SV2 with the Primo part probe and 3DTS tool setter. Fanuc control Oi-MF. I have the Renishaw tool break cycle loaded on the machine however I do not have the Macro from Smart CNC to run the tool break detection program. When trying to run the cycle i get alarm "MC3091 MACRO OPTION NOT AVAILABLE" . I talked to my machine dealer and they said they do not offer the macro for the tool break detection and that no customers have asked for it which is total BS... Trying to get ahold of someone from Renishaw but no luck yet.
Fanuc controls often support custom macro programming, such as Fanuc Custom Macro B. You may be able to create your own tool break detection macro using this feature. Check the Fanuc documentation for Custom Macro B programming guidelines and examples.

I would not try to write your own measurement macros as Renishaw definitely has tried and true programs that account for edge cases we may not immediately see… loading in settings variables, checking for inch vs metric modes, and machine specific settings are just a few things that I know the macros go through for haas

Back