What's new
What's new

Need match for New Departure bearings in Milwaukee router.

Jidis

Plastic
Hello all,

I'm restoring a Milwaukee router (model 5650) and would like to replace the two bearings while I'm in it, but am having trouble cross referencing these oddball numbers, and Google kept pointing me here on New Departure related info. If anybody either knows what the modern day substitutes are, or can tell anything from the dimensions, that would be a big help.

The labeling says:

(smaller bearing)
C 008 ND Made in USA

(larger bearing)
New Departure 016 Made in USA
Z502 Sentri Seal
* the 016 could even be 910 as part of the labeling is upside-down

The smaller one has metal shields on both sides with one which looks to be recessed at the outer edge by a couple mm.

The larger one has the recessed style metal shield on one side and a flush rubber seal on the other.

Milwaukee's part numbers are most likely:

small- 02-04-0850 (supposedly a 608ZZ)
large- 02-04-1610 (which is also listed as 16X35X11 BALL BRG 2 SE)
in some 5650 models, they are listed as:
small- 02-04-0895
large- 02-04-1655

The actual dimensions I get here with a digital caliper are slightly off from those specs in some areas, but that could be an error on my part, and I don't know what the tolerance typically is.

small:
bore- 8.026mm
O.D.- 24.003
width- 10.05

large:
bore- 16.025
O.D.- 35.02
width- 12.675

If there's any further info I could get or you need me to get a picture I'll gladly do so.

Much Thanks!

PS- It should be running over 20k rpm (I thought people recommended against rubber seals for that range).

Are you sure your measurements are accurate as a New Departure C008 is 8mm ID x 14mm OD x 10mm W. You have the OD as 24mm, not 14mm??? And the 608ZZ is not the same size bearing as it is 8mm x 22mm x 7mm.

The bigger bearing is a 6202/16 which is 16mm ID x 35mm OD x 11mm W. Make sue you get the "16" size as a standard 6202 bearing has a bore of 15 mm.

And get a decent micrometer! Your measurements are not even close. A caliper is for guesstimating a dimension not an actual measurement.

Both size bearings are still available and cheap. At the RPM you are spinning, a shielded bearing would be best.

Last edited:
Hi Laverda and thanks! I read this last night then got tied up with stuff the rest of the night.

Like I said, the bearings I pulled out are off by a bit too much in some dimensions from the stuff I found on the web, as my sizes should at least be close to what I listed. I initially got them with a cheap digital caliper, then went back and double checked with a nice Mitutoyo dial caliper. From what I remember, there was a few thou difference in some, which is likely my own slop. About the only other 5650 bearing info I could find was in the Router Forums, with another guy who couldn't find replacements, and it ended with "I have given up on the bearing. I found 2 bearings but can't get it to spin in balance.". Not sure what that means, but I'm wondering if he too came up with the same supposed replacements, so there was too much play, or if they just weren't re-installed well. Is it possible that Milwaukee had some custom run of them done for this machine, or would the labels normally indicate that?

That 6202/16 sounds close enough to probably be what mine really measures, with the exception of the 6202 width being a touch less. I'll look at where it's seated to try to figure out if that will make any difference. -and thanks for the tip on the 16/15mm variants!

I have no idea why that smaller one is so far off from the C008 specs or why some places had the 608 listed as a replacement. There is that slight change in Milwaukee part numbers in some of the 5650 serial numbers, so maybe some actually do take a 608 (but not mine). Looking at the different part list PDFs, I believe mine actually is the one with 895 and 1655 part numbers for the small and large bearings, though I guess it doesn't do much good if Milwaukee won't give out the real numbers.

I've hopefully attached a picture. That "6" on the large one sort of looks like a 3 in it, but it's just the lighting. Is there such thing as a New Departure "910" or do you figure it's in the same direction the ND name is labeled in?

Thanks again, and I've got the micrometer on my list now. I lucked into a batch of measurement tools which are way beyond my machining skill level, but unfortunately that wasn't one of them.

Attachments

• 5650 Bearings.jpg
    5650 Bearings.jpg
    960.2 KB · Views: 12
If anybody has any further guesses on that smaller one, I'd still be interested. I might be able to order both from the same place (I'd also like to get the tool back together before I forget how it came apart :D).

The Milwaukee part number for that one seems to show as obsolete/NA at everywhere that once had it, so it's not looking too promising. I believe I saw the other number when I was searching, so maybe they're all selling 6202/16's for that.

Thanks Again

Well, I went ahead and ordered a couple from Bearings Direct. It looked like the 628 (8x24x8) would be the closest smaller one. They're both slightly lower in width than these NDs, but it doesn't look like they can go anywhere as long as the other dimensions match. I also went ZZ on both. I'm not sure why Milwaukee had rubber on one side of that larger one, but I'd rather be safe considering the speed. FWIW, they had the rubber seal on the outside-facing part of the motor (nearest the collet).

I'll post if it doesn't seem to run right or anything.

Take Care

The rubber seal is probably to keep wood dust out of the bearing. Fine particles can infiltrate through the metal shields, and the seals do a better job of keeping them out.

Thanks sfriedberg,

Yeah, that's what I've heard before and I typically use them for everything else, I just heard they couldn't handle the extreme speeds due to friction or something, but I guess maybe that ND one is different. I'm also wondering about that recessed area in their metal shields near the outside. I can't remember if I've seen that on others, and am wondering if the internals are any different. The smaller one with both sides metal only has that on one side as well.

Take Care

Back