What's new
What's new

Need some help removing and shipping some 10EE parts from Salt Lake City UT to save from scrap

marka12161

Stainless
Hi all,

A little over a month ago a PM member offered up some free parts from a 1948 10EE round dial in Salt Lake City prior to sending the machine to scrap (link below).

This PM member doesn't have the time available to remove parts and ship them, a situation i can certainly relate to before I retired.

Since then i've aquired a really nice 1942 10EE round dial that could use:

* The Taper Attachment
* The telescoping cross slide screw, nut and other parts that interface to the taper attachment
* A small casting on the back of the machine that houses the reversing motor starter

Also, the interlock that prevents engaging the half nuts when feeding doesn't seem to be working properly so there's likely something going on in the apron that i need to investigate. Having a spare apron probably wouldn't hurt. And then while it's all apart, might as save the compound and maybe the cross slide rather than sending them to scrap.

I live in upstate NY so a trip to Salt Lake really doesn't make any sense for me. I know it's a long shot but i'm wondering if there's anyone out there local to this machine that wouldn't mind spending a morning or afternoon pulling some parts from this machine and then packing and shipping them to me. I would certainly compensate that person for their time.

I just hate to see parts that can be used by others go to scrap. I recently scraped a old Universal HBM and pulled everything off that I thought would be of value to someone and either sold the parts or (in most cases) gave them away.

If anyone is willing to help out, please send me a PM.

Thanks
Mark

Ship the entire bed to you? No labor time to strip it, costs may be a wash. as a guess I would think shipping is in the $500-$600 ballpark.
Not a bad thought but i actually don't need the bed. I'd have to get the whole machine and pull the parts i want. I can't imagine rigging and shipping across the country (freight) will be $500 - $600. If it were, i'd jump at it.

Not a bad thought but i actually don't need the bed. I'd have to get the whole machine and pull the parts i want. I can't imagine rigging and shipping across the country (freight) will be $500 - $600.
I just paid $671 for a 2000 lb lathe from atlanta, ga to calif. This is hub to hub though, no riggers. I think salt lake to NY is less distance.

I just paid $671 for a 2000 lb lathe from atlanta, ga to calif. This is hub to hub though, no riggers. I think salt lake to NY is less distance.
Yeah, the riggers kill it. They charge you to move it, to load it, to unload it etc. I shipped a 12,500 lb HBM from Arkansas to NY state for something like $1200. Rigging, loading, transfering to a tiltbed, delivery to my shop and unloading pushed the whole thing up to about $3K.

Then when i had to scrap it due to my exceedingly bad decision making, i got to enjoy the whole process all over again in reverse

Yeah, the riggers kill it. They charge you to move it, to load it, to unload it etc. I shipped a 12,500 lb HBM from Arkansas to NY state for something like $1200. Rigging, loading, transfering to a tiltbed, delivery to my shop and unloading pushed the whole thing up to about $3K.

Then when i had to scrap it due to my exceedingly bad decision making, i got to enjoy the whole process all over again in reverse
I was kind of thinking the guy that has it (or someone else) can get it onto a pallet and drop it at the terminal or just pay for a lift gate truck to pick it up. The only holdup I see is who gets it onto the pallet and does the guy who has it have the ability to lift it onto a pallet.

I was kind of thinking the guy that has it (or someone else) can get it onto a pallet and drop it at the terminal or just pay for a lift gate truck to pick it up. The only holdup I see is who gets it onto the pallet and does the guy who has it have the ability to lift it onto a pallet.
10EE is about 3000 lbs. and is about 5 ft long. Granted this one has been stripped but even still the current owner really doesn't have time to screw around with it. Even if it would fit on a pallet, i'd need to find someone willing to make that happen and then arrange all the transport. Lots of moving parts and probably an unacceptable impact to the current owner.

Back