What's new
What's new

need steady rest info

dmerc1953

Plastic
How important is it to have your steady rest exactly centered on the lathe ways? I have a chance to get a no name steady rest for my South Bend Heavy 10. The seller states the distance from the center of the vee to the center of the mounting hole is 1-25/32. this is about 1/16" cheated towards the back of the lathe. Couldn't this much misalignment be taken up by the steady rest fingers? Mostly will use this to face longer pieces after doing required machining of the stock between centers. I'm pretty new at this so please don't laugh if this seems simple to you guys!

the distance from the center of the vee to the center of the mounting hole is 1-25/32. this is about 1/16" cheated towards the back of the lathe. Couldn't this much misalignment be taken up by the steady rest fingers?

As long as the Vee's mate and the clamp does not interfere or can be adjusted same, you are correct for most purposes.

Plus, seller might be measuring with a tape measure anyway; and visible center (top) of v might not be actual center over the flats. The top finger will (presumably) not be centered; but should be ok at that small offset.

The Vee in the base of the steady can be machined that much to move it; and quickly scraped to fit, too. You will also have to machine/scrape the flat because moving the V will lower the steady on that side, and cock it opposite the direction you need. The slightly lowered (if 1/16" offset is correct) will be less nuisance than an off-center top finger.

You can also cut the bottom off of a steady, and machine and bolt it to a sled that spans the V & flat ways; putting the center where you want it.

Assuming the accessory itself is "substantial" & the price is some significantly small fraction of what you would pay for the correct factory item.

smt

Last edited:
As long as the Vee's mate and the clamp does not interfere or can be adjusted same, you are correct for most purposes.

Plus, seller might be measuring with a tape measure anyway; and visible center (top) of v might not be actual center over the flats. The top finger will (presumably) not be centered; but should be ok at that small offset.

The Vee in the base of the steady can be machined that much to move it; and quickly scraped to fit, too. You will also have to machine/scrape the flat because moving the V will lower the steady on that side, and cock it opposite the direction you need. The slightly lowered (if 1/16" offset is correct) will be less nuisance than an off-center top finger.

You can also cut the bottom off of a steady, and machine and bolt it to a sled that spans the V & flat ways; putting the center where you want it.

Assuming the accessory itself is "substantial" & the price is some significantly small fraction of what you would pay for the correct factory item.,

smt
Thanks for the reply. I think Ill buy this rest and try it as is. If it works I'll be happy, if not I'll modify as you said.

Close the steady centered on a stub diameter turned in your chuck to rough measure/view any alteration you might make/consider. If it is high you can close it on a bushing and bring a chuck-held turned stub or point to the bushing. If it is a tad off it will still be OK because you will still steady the part with 3 contacts..even if not dead centered on the fingers..

For a quick chuck end center, you can turn a 60* on mild stock and dog off a chuck jaw, for a perfect-true head end center. Use your fish to check the angle.

Good to add your location

Last edited:

Back