What's new
What's new

Need to replace a Sunnen bore gage. What other options are there that may be better?

Laverda

Cast Iron
OK, so the dog ate my Sunnen 10ths reading bore gage. I need to get another one ASAP. I have always had good luck with the Sunnen gages and they are very accurate. But I am wondering what other options there are that may be better? The gage will be used for measuring 1" to 2" and it needs to read to 10ths. All the measuring will be for honing. I also need to check for roundness of the bore before honing.

I have all the Sunnen gage setting fixtures but don't think they will work with anything but Sunnen???? I also have four other Sunnen bore gages of different sizes but the dog ate the size I use the most. I have never used any brand of bore gage but Sunnen so don't know what other options there are?

And by the way the dog in question looked a lot like a Toyota fork lift.

Everyone makes bore gauges, but as far as I know Sunnen is the only one with the lever arm instead of a plunger style. Others are maybe as nice, but no one is any nicer.

You could use intermics but they've never turned me on (had several) ... I s'pose in theory they are better in some ways but in practice, meh.

For what you do, just replace the one that fat-ass dog ate. If you are dead set on spending money, buy a few ring gages for a double-check.

We use all Sunnen bore gages for our tight tolerance work. One of our Lathe operators has a nice set of Mitutoyo bore gages, but that's "roughing" work prior to ID Grinding and then Sunnen Honing, both of which have Sunnen Bore Gages.

As to the Sunnen (or any other) Setting Fixtures (in my opinion). I prefer Class X or XX Ring gages for our jobs, and I love those. Fast, repeatable, no muss and no fuss. I would say the majority of our jobs, even if not all, see Ring Gages purchased as part of the Job Quote.

Not really knocking the Sunnen Setting Fixtures, just pointing out what our experience here has been. They work. But you absolutely cannot trust them out of the cabinet if you are working on something with a .0002 total tolerance. That means a calibration check before use.

OK, then I guess I will stick with Sunnen and will probably need to be sitting down when I call and get the price!

And as mentioned above I also use class XX ring gages to double check the bore gage. I usually get a .00015" bigger reading in the ring gage compared to the setting fixture even after calibrating the setting fixture with gage blocks.

I’ve been reasonably happy with the Sunnen ones myself. Last place I worked at had Mitutoyo ones and every time I used them I wished we had a Sunnen set instead.
Been reasonably happy with the 3 point gauges from other manufacturers, but those tend to be small range and their large pads average over a long length.

I never had any issues with the Sunnen setting gages but I did note that their directions for using them consistently left the gage set a tenth or two off from a ring gage. Wiggle around a bit to hunt for the minimum reading and they were spot on.

OK, then I guess I will stick with Sunnen and will probably need to be sitting down when I call and get the price!

And as mentioned above I also use class XX ring gages to double check the bore gage. I usually get a .00015" bigger reading in the ring gage compared to the setting fixture even after calibrating the setting fixture with gage blocks.
You might move the contact balls around with the little tool. Maybe they are worn.

FWIW, I recently sold a Mitutoyo in the size you need. It's nowhere near as nice a tool as the Sunnen. Would have made you a great price ;>)

Call my friend Don Dennis @ (425) 766-1619. He often has good used machinery and metrology for sale.

jack vines

jack vines

Call Sunnen and see how much they want to repair it, yes even if it was eaten by the dog. They used to repair them for about 50% of a new gage.

Back