What's new
What's new

Needle nose pliers, bad occlusion repair possible

Hi 1yesca:
Yeah the surgical instruments from Pakistan were a real crap shoot back when I was still buying.
You might get a usable pair and you might not.
You ALWAYS got a crappy looking pair that was rough in the details.

Back in the late 1990's when I was still in the game, I'd buy a few nice ones from Europe for surgery (I liked working with nice stuff and I was making enough to spill the coin) but I would buy a raft of Pakistani or Indian ones too, and treat them as semi-disposable for the rough stuff, where I knew I was going to abuse them.

Mostly they worked OK for that...kinda like buying from Harbour Fright.

My assistants all knew I'd flip a gasket if they abused my good stuff, but they also knew they could trash the imports with enthusiasm (and they DID).

I'd catch them wrecking stuff in really creative ways...there are stories I'm sure Michael P and Renardiere could tell too on that subject, but I digress.

For fine wire and thread manipulation I like the smooth jawed micro needle drivers too, and if you get lucky, the Pakistani ones will be plenty good enough.
You're still money ahead if you have to buy and toss twenty pair to find a good one, compared to the premier brands.
You may have to do that.

Conventional pliers are cheap enough that I just buy the best I know of and eat the cost...scrapping a bunch of cheapo pliers doesn't attract me that much.
I bought maybe 10 pair, 4 decades ago and I've never bought again since then.

Of course I, like all shops, have a bunch of beaters hanging around for nasty tasks...mostly they're old worn ones or junkers I inherited.
I do try to look after my good ones, so no tightening the hex nuts with my good needle noses, and no picking the red-hot parts out of the heat treat oven with them either.

I'm a one man show too, so nobody needs to be beaten within an inch of their lives for trashing a good pair.

Cheers
Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Last edited:
Hi Cole2534:
Dumont makes a very nice line of forceps (tweezers) too.
So does Moria and S&T...look in the Fine Science Tools catalog here:

Some of them are small and delicate enough for micro dissection under the scope.
I have a pair of Dumonts for pulling out those ultra irritating slivers you get when you use a ball cutter on stainless steel...you know...the kind you can't see but you sure can feel.
I hate those little bastards:ack2:

Cheers

Marcus

Back