What's new
What's new

New Abene VHF3 owner head tilt issue

rHayes

Plastic
Hello all,
I just recently purchased an Abene VHF3, in nice condition over all, but I have been having problems with adjusting the head tilt. I have been able to, and have used the machine at various angles, but the hold down studs get jammed up everytime, and wont let the head freely move(until i get them lined up properly). I was thinking of pulling the head and seeing what is wrong with the movement.
Question i have is, can the head just be slid off, and back on or are there shims or anything that need to be watched out for taking off, and putting back on?
Thank you

My head fights me on occasion when I tilt it. I can move the dials in the gear box around and that usually frees it up for me. As for your question about taking it off I don't know.

I think the holes for the studs are too big So they can tilt and get jammed
Perhaps nuts with big washers as one piece keep the studs from tilting and jamming
Also do not loosen the nuts too much

Peter

I think the holes for the studs are too big So they can tilt and get jammed
Perhaps nuts with big washers as one piece keep the studs from tilting and jamming
Also do not loosen the nuts too much

Peter
could it be that the circular T-slot could have suffered damaged from heavy-handed users? Like we've seen on Deckel's here?

Looked up a picture of the Abene Bolts are so long that they cannot tilt
Are the bolts free moving a bit when it jammes ?? Why helps it if you move the dials ?? Are there some gears getting jammed ??

Looked up a picture of the Abene Bolts are so long that they cannot tilt
Are the bolts free moving a bit when it jammes ?? Why helps it if you move the dials ?? Are there some gears getting jammed ??
Thank you all for the replies.
It is not a jammed gear. And turning the gear box is not something that helps this case.
What it seems to be is one particular tie down bolt. This morning i took the nuts off individually and noticed the bottom two have bushings that keep the bolt in line. For whatever reason, the top two have coil springs in place of the bushing...the back top bolt seems to be holding up the works..
It does seem like the t-nut, channel or whatever in that arrangement is getting hung up, much like the compound rest on an old lathe, when you loosen too much, the bolt will jam.
In this case, though, i'm not loosening these that much, and i have moved the head multiple times for different operation, but right now it seems to be in a place where futzing with the bolts isn't doing it.
So, i was thinking of just sliding the head off to see what is going on back there, but am nervous to blindly go in to that seeing as I have a big project coming up this winter that i actually bought the machine for.
It seems like it would just slide off, but you never know
Thanks Again

The “T” nuts that secure the heads ( tilt) on the later Deckels are all tied together in the circular “T” slot via a sheet metal plate having the nuts riveted to it.
This keeps all the nuts sitting flat and moving together ( not wedging) when the head is tilted.
Seems to help, and makes removing and replacing the head easier as all the nuts don’t fall to the bottom of the circular slot when the head is removed.
Perhaps you could devise a similar setup.
Cheers Ross

Ooooh, that's a clever idea. Fitting the vertical head on a Nichols hand miller by yourself is a real nuisance because the four studs want to fall to the bottom of a circular T-slot (so a very similar problem), and it really takes more than two hands to hold up the head, insert and align a stud, and tighten a nut so the head doesn't fall off. But now I am imagining a "keeper" like a ball bearing cage, slim enough to fit in the T-slot, to hold the four studs in relative position.

The “T” nuts that secure the heads ( tilt) on the later Deckels are all tied together in the circular “T” slot via a sheet metal plate having the nuts riveted to it.
This keeps all the nuts sitting flat and moving together ( not wedging) when the head is tilted.
Seems to help, and makes removing and replacing the head easier as all the nuts don’t fall to the bottom of the circular slot when the head is removed.
Perhaps you could devise a similar setup.
Cheers Ross
That's a good idea.
Yea i think they are jamming sideways and locking up against the slot.
So my idea is to try and slide the head off like you would do with the vertical attachment for say a K&T mill, that is bring the table up to a fixture in the spindle and clamp it lightly in the vise, put the machine in lowest gear, and use the X axis to slide the head off, that way it stays on plane, and the gears will(hopefully) remain in line when reassembling.
Does that sound reasonable?
Again, i just hope to not come across any extra surprises trying to do this

I would be very surprised if there is any extra kit that would be loose when the head is pulled.
I would prefer to have a setup that employed a “ flexible “ lifting element.
Say a vertical post with a right angle arm over the head, with a sling between arm and head.
Lift via the “Z” and position with the “X”.
Easier to tell what’s going on with things that can flex.

Cheers Ross

I would be very surprised if there is any extra kit that would be loose when the head is pulled.
I would prefer to have a setup that employed a “ flexible “ lifting element.
Say a vertical post with a right angle arm over the head, with a sling between arm and head.
Lift via the “Z” and position with the “X”.
Easier to tell what’s going on with things that can flex.

Cheers Ross
Ok. Sounds like a fine idea. Will try that.
Thank you

Thanks for the video. I have been working on a VHF 3. I need to figure out how the adjustment ring on the spindle works. I don’t see any external screws to adjust play in the spindle. I have about .005 play at the end of a tool holder.

Thanks for the video. I have been working on a VHF 3. I need to figure out how the adjustment ring on the spindle works. I don’t see any external screws to adjust play in the spindle. I have about .005 play at the end of a tool holder.
I'm new here, but i glanced at a thread about that very problem a week or so ago...trying to find it

I have the same problem with my VHF3. The top rear bolt jams up when tilting. I remove that nut and spring completely and slightly loosen the other three. I grab the threads of the offending bolt and pull it as I tilt the head. That works most of the time for me.

I've never pulled the spindle to check it out, but I recall it simply slides off after the nuts are removed. I'd run the table up and clamp the drive dogs in the vise, remove the nuts, and jog the table over if you want to take a look.

If you do take the spindle off, I'd love to see some pictures of what you find in there.

I have the same problem with my VHF3. The top rear bolt jams up when tilting. I remove that nut and spring completely and slightly loosen the other three. I grab the threads of the offending bolt and pull it as I tilt the head. That works most of the time for me.

I've never pulled the spindle to check it out, but I recall it simply slides off after the nuts are removed. I'd run the table up and clamp the drive dogs in the vise, remove the nuts, and jog the table over if you want to take a look.

If you do take the spindle off, I'd love to see some pictures of what you find in there.
Ok, yes! That's the same way I was getting mine to move..I plan on pulling the head sometime this week. I will definitely get some photos

Hello all.
I have finally found a moment to take the head off of my Abene VHF3 to see what was hanging the head tilting feature up.
The channel that the t-bolts slide in is 'chunked out' and burred in all four locations where they are located in the full horizontal or full vertical positions.
The repair would be to pull the drive gear, backing plate and the "slot" plate itself and make that new, but seeing as i need the machine for an up coming project, my temporary solution was to simply deburr the plate and smooth out the chunked portions so that the bolts move smoothly through their rotations.
Here are some pictures of the situation. You can see in the close up image a broken portion of the slot plate. I don't know if this is some odd wear feature or if some previous owner adjusted the head and forgot to tighten down the bolts, ran it and hammered the plate...?
In either case, at the moment the head moves freely again.

Attachments

• PXL_20231215_192158441.jpg
    PXL_20231215_192158441.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20231215_191951027.jpg
    PXL_20231215_191951027.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
Hello all.
I have finally found a moment to take the head off of my Abene VHF3 to see what was hanging the head tilting feature up.
The channel that the t-bolts slide in is 'chunked out' and burred in all four locations where they are located in the full horizontal or full vertical positions.
The repair would be to pull the drive gear, backing plate and the "slot" plate itself and make that new, but seeing as i need the machine for an up coming project, my temporary solution was to simply deburr the plate and smooth out the chunked portions so that the bolts move smoothly through their rotations.
Here are some pictures of the situation. You can see in the close up image a broken portion of the slot plate. I don't know if this is some odd wear feature or if some previous owner adjusted the head and forgot to tighten down the bolts, ran it and hammered the plate...?
In either case, at the moment the head moves freely again.

Attachments

• PXL_20231215_191754840.jpg
    PXL_20231215_191754840.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 29

Back