What's new
What's new

New Abene VHF3 owner head tilt issue

What do the bolts look like?
Have repaired several Deckel vertical head protractor "T" nut slots....
Setup the head on the mill and re-cut the "T" slot to clean it up...Made oversize "T" nuts to give more contact surface...

In the Deckel case i believe the problem is caused by over zealous tightening of the bolts.

full

Vertical head setup. Running horizontal, profiling "T" slot with "T" slot cutter.....
full

"T" slot cutter profiling slot. Larger access window to allow fitting new larger "T" nuts.
full

full

Original "T" nut, with replacement
full

Nuts shaped to conform to the slot arc.....

Cheers Ross

Last edited:
Thank you. To slot out that particular plate would require it being taken off. I plan on making the chunked part anew, but for these few weeks I need her for a particular project which is boring worn out, built up, and then babbitt lined plain bronze bearings for our antique steam locomotives and their train cars. Have about 20 or so of these to do this winter, all(of course) different sizes and shapes.
Here is an image of a very rough test layout this afternoon

Attachments

• PXL_20231218_010815329.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231218_010815329.MP.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 16
Were these the original T bolts?
Their heads seem rather small
That T slot is part of the gearbox casring Not a loose part
So that is hard to solve
I would make that opening where the T bolts enter bigger and make me some bigger T nuts with a head 4 times as big as it is now
Or make segmented nuts But a bolt with a head the right shape is stronger Does not bend that easy
Perhaps widen the groove as well Enough material there
There is a lot of damage
So perhaps live with it
1703003937907.png

Last edited:
Were these the original T bolts?
Their heads seem rather small
That T slot is part of the gearbox casring Not a loose part
So that is hard to solve
I would make that opening where the T bolts enter bigger and make me some bigger T nuts with a head 4 times as big as it is now
Or make segmented nuts But a bolt with a head the right shape is stronger Does not bend that easy
Perhaps widen the groove as well Enough material there
There is a lot of damage
So perhaps live with it
View attachment 420213
Thank you for the drawing and info on the inner channel not being removable. I have no idea if the T bolts are original or not, I have only acquired the machine about 3 months ago, and this is the first time I've taken the head off.
I think, Peter and AlfaGTA, that you are both right that the fastest, possibly best solution is to pocket out the channel and make longer T nuts to span the broken out sections of the channel.

Thank you for the drawing and info on the inner channel not being removable. I have no idea if the T bolts are original or not, I have only acquired the machine about 3 months ago, and this is the first time I've taken the head off.
I think, Peter and AlfaGTA, that you are both right that the fastest, possibly best solution is to pocket out the channel and make longer T nuts to span the broken out sections of the channel.
New T bolts are stronger But more difficult to make The tapped hole weakens the nut conciderably
Peter

Back