What's new
What's new

New at *Turning - Missing compound / tool post

Lathes are top heavy in general, so even if this one is moreso you should always take extra care moving them. Many lathes of many makes have met an unfortunate early death, not to mention whatever they might land on.

Trust me--- that Enco would be border line " recall "in regards to being top heavy. It sets 7" higher to apron handwheel than my other 8 big lathes, and sets on an 11 1/2" deep cabinet base. Way off the engineering scale in my opinion 🤦

I agree with Naegle, I will cut a round base pad that fits T nuts and offset the tool post stud location and that should cover any needs. As to threading needs, I believe the Europeans routinely cut threads only with crossfeed.

Lathes have a compound for a reason.......it makes work easier.........Yes,for sure you can work without one .....until you need a taper cut..............This design of lathe (it may be Taiwanese make) has a very well established long term acceptance,the 12x36 size has been made since the 70s,which is 50 years,and I know a lot of satisfied owners .........and --shock/horror--- these guys dont know what a four ton Monarch or Hendey looks like.....or care.

Back