What's new
What's new

New Class 8 Electric truck

And if you heed the warning, everything is o.k.

Pipelines, not so much:
Kalamazoo River oil spill - Wikipedia

and:
List of pipeline accidents - Wikipedia

FWIW there is a constant stream of tanker trucks (8300 gallons each) leaving the Warren refinery, heading up route 6 to I-90.
They lose one a year on average.

This and many others each year are caused by leaky electric lines, on a failing infostructure. California doesn't talk much about how they will charge all these EV's when they already have to shut the grid off on every windy day, warm day, or just when it is too hot and they have rolling blackouts as the grid can't run all the swimming pools and air conditioners, how will they keep up with millions more EV's?

Butte Fire Summary Timeline | myMotherLode.com

Doo you naysayers like to see tankers on the road, and pipelines carrying crude oil & fuels ?

Wire don't spill much.

Of course you lead by example? Your property covered by solar panels and wind turbines. All vehicles, appliances electric? Certainly, in Pennsylvania fossil fuels play no role in your economy.

Of course you lead by example? Your property covered by solar panels and wind turbines. All vehicles, appliances electric? Certainly, in Pennsylvania fossil fuels play no role in your economy.

Of course not, I get less sunshine that Portland Oregon.

leaky electric lines don't pollute.

The focus should be on electric/ice hybrids at this stage in the game.
My guess is Mack is dying to hear from you- I mean its not like they know what sells, and what their customers are asking for or anything.
These decisions, made by private companies based on profit and sales projections, are pretty common.
currently somewhere around $20 Billion of private capital is being spent by Ford, GM, Toyota, Mercedes, and others, to build battery factories in the USA.
I can only guess they are doing this because they think they will make that money back.

If nobody was buying electric trucks, nobody would be making em.

My guess is Mack is dying to hear from you- I mean its not like they know what sells, and what their customers are asking for or anything.
These decisions, made by private companies based on profit and sales projections, are pretty common.
currently somewhere around $20 Billion of private capital is being spent by Ford, GM, Toyota, Mercedes, and others, to build battery factories in the USA.
I can only guess they are doing this because they think they will make that money back.

If nobody was buying electric trucks, nobody would be making em.

"I can only guess they are doing this because they think they will make that money back." As you know manufacturers often produce a product that they know, initially will lose money. Often times manufacturers are known to have guessed wrong.

... they already have to shut the grid off on every windy day, warm day, or just when it is too hot and they have rolling blackouts as the grid can't run all the swimming pools and air conditioners,...

Where do you get this cr*p? Let me guess - some super-well-informed talking head on your favorite faux news channel? Nobody told me the grid was shut off, haven't had a rolling blackout in years, it was kinda windy yesterday and the grid seemed to stay on. If the grid failed, it didn't make the news. Yeah, I know, all the media are in cahoots and hid the blackout from everybody.

Where do you get this cr*p? Let me guess - some super-well-informed talking head on your favorite faux news channel? Nobody told me the grid was shut off, haven't had a rolling blackout in years, it was kinda windy yesterday and the grid seemed to stay on. If the grid failed, it didn't make the news. Yeah, I know, all the media are in cahoots and hid the blackout from everybody.

I lived in the foothills east of you for 55 years, the last 6 or so had a dozen or more shut downs each summer to avoid starting the fires that PG&E has paid so much for.
3 of those fires were too close to us, but you folks in the big cicies have it a bit different.

The alleged advantage to electrifying everything is a reduction in CO2 output, which supposedly will reduce the global warming/global cooling/climate change that some claim is caused by mankind releasing carbon into the atmosphere.

As for the intermittency of solar and wind, advocates always point to energy storage which at the current time accounts for only a small percentage of kWh used. If you question them closely they will always point to some new technology which as yet is not widely in use. Using predictions of the future as a solution to current needs is folly indeed.

No new technology

Battery storage is being built as we speak

These days it seems there might be more than one reason to avoid fossil fuels

Today it is Putin, but there is Saudi and then there was Iraq/Kuwait.

As Ihave said many times here, the dumbest thing you can do with a barrel of oil is burn it

So once this is widespread, an electrical outage means a complete failure of the supply chain again ?

Maybe if the entire grid shuts down but that doesnt' seem very likely either. Do you think a electrical outage doesn't effect pumping diesel and gasoline? Ever try filling your gas tank when the gas station loses power? Good luck with that.

I guess it looks like we should just do away with electric all together because sometimes the power goes out.

This and many others each year are caused by leaky electric lines, on a failing infostructure. California doesn't talk much about how they will charge all these EV's when they already have to shut the grid off on every windy day, warm day, or just when it is too hot and they have rolling blackouts as the grid can't run all the swimming pools and air conditioners, how will they keep up with millions more EV's?

This is not because of renewables

IT is because of the dumb ass way they deregulated the electric companies

Because renewables are spread out, long term they will contribute to grid stability

Guess you moved the wrong place

Wind project would double Idaho'''s turbine energy output | AP News

California 7 percent wind power

Idaho...........15 percent

oops better get the candles out

Perhaps someone can explain where is the advantage to electrifying everything? Consider motor vehicles only for a while. Horsepower is horsepower whether it comes from fossil fuel or electricity. Electricity has to be generated somehow. There is no conversion system that is 100% efficient. Energy is lost every time. Energy is required to mine the materials needed to make the battery. Is the mining equipment electric? Energy is required to charge the batteries and energy is lost in the charging process. Batteries have a useful lifespan and they have to be replaced at a very high cost. A few hundred mile range for an electric vehicle will not satisfy the average family vacation plans.
In all the clean energy information out there, I see no mention of the electric energy consumed by industry. The amount of horsepower used in all the manufacturing plants has to dwarf the energy used in road travel. Those factories will still be needed to produce the vehicles and all the devices that use electricity that allow civilization to function. Solar panel have about a 20 year life span and so do large windmill electric generators. How many horsepower does it take to manufacture, ship and replace a windmill? I doubt if anyone has calculated the total amount of horsepower used daily in the U.S. alone, let alone the world. How many acres of solar fields and how many windmills would it take to generate that much horsepower on a daily basis. When the sun does not shine or the wind does not blow, then what?

Bob
WB8NQW

Congrats. You have covered almost every right wing talking point about electricity that they have but missed the part about burying windmill blades. And the birds will all become extinct from flying into the wind turbine blades.

Do you think that IC engines are 100% efficient?

The alleged advantage to electrifying everything is a reduction in CO2 output, which supposedly will reduce the global warming/global cooling/climate change that some claim is caused by mankind releasing carbon into the atmosphere.

As for the intermittency of solar and wind, advocates always point to energy storage which at the current time accounts for only a small percentage of kWh used. If you question them closely they will always point to some new technology which as yet is not widely in use. Using predictions of the future as a solution to current needs is folly indeed.

So you run the electric grid on wind and solar when it is available and use fossil fuels to keep the grid going when they aren't available. It doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Does anyone think that one day 120 years ago eveyone shot their horses and bought new cars? It's a transition and will take many years but it is coming and fast.

Sure it does. Haven't you heard all the warnings to stay away from downed power lines?

That's just power companies trying to reduce the deaths of very stupid people. We can just be happy that we don't need notices that say "don't run into a burning building".

Like the tags on some infant clothes reads: "Remove child before washing".

Yup, if it ain't happening in your back yard it ain't happening.

As I recall Redwood City is in San Mateo County, is home to several large technology companies, and wasn't part of the 2019 shutoffs that affected several hundred customers in San Diego County and others in rural northern areas.

"I can only guess they are doing this because they think they will make that money back." As you know manufacturers often produce a product that they know, initially will lose money. Often times manufacturers are known to have guessed wrong.

Spoken like a true "CONservative". Like we should never try anything new because what we have now works fine. Reference LED light bulbs.

Wait till all other mandates kick in, like eliminating gas connections in new construction. I have an all electric house, even with out a shop it consumes 3x the electricity of a house that uses naturally gas.

California releases final root cause analysis of August rolling blackouts | Utility Dive

Why do liberals always type some stupid misspelling of Fox News when they don't like the facts that are presented?
Few of them seem to be able to present a dissenting opinion on an adult level.

Back