What's new
What's new

New Class 8 Electric truck

Don't fuel stations currently use electric pumps?

Florida and Louisiana actually require gas stations to have power generators to power pumps. I'm betting due to the frequency they are hit with hurricanes. Other states have had similar legislation proposed, but I don't know how many have enacted it.

Electric 4 ton delivery trucks running here use battery swap to avoid downtime......and factory roofs covered in solar panels are becoming common place.....Both Isuzu and Hino market electric delivery options .....and linehaul using battery swap is also beyond the testing stage.........the solar panel option is already common with electric forklifts ,so not a big jump to delivery vehicles.......with diesel fuel at current highs.

So once this is widespread, an electrical outage means a complete failure of the supply chain again ?

If the electricity is out, where are the trucks going?
Been at the supermarket when the power goes out?
Imagine delivering to Manhattan when there is no power. Not happening

How often are there true blackouts?
Texas didn't have proper rules to prevent the last one[apparently they finally are requiring freeze proofing]

If a blackout was severe enough that it had the potential to disrupt the supply chain, there are other worries other than what your truck runs on

If the electricity is out, where are the trucks going?
Been at the supermarket when the power goes out?
Imagine delivering to Manhattan when there is no power. Not happening

How often are there true blackouts?
Texas didn't have proper rules to prevent the last one[apparently they finally are requiring freeze proofing]

If a blackout was severe enough that it had the potential to disrupt the supply chain, there are other worries other than what your truck runs on

Wegmans stores advertise that all stores have large generators for power outages.
The (2) stores in Erie have them around back, look to be 500 kw units.

Wegmans stores advertise that all stores have large generators for power outages.
The (2) stores in Erie have them around back, look to be 500 kw units.

Point being most do not, and in a true blackout, especially in an urban area I doubt delivery trucks would be sent out in the first place.

Most serious blackouts in the last decade have been weather related. No deliveries after superstorm Sandy. Texas ice storm etc

This would appear to be a great application for an EV especially in an urban area with defined routes. No doubt the vehicle can be tracked with data providing actual performance numbers. I guess it will all depend on actual cost comparison between ICE and EV vehicles in the fleet.

Point being most do not, and in a true blackout, especially in an urban area I doubt delivery trucks would be sent out in the first place.

Most serious blackouts in the last decade have been weather related. No deliveries after superstorm Sandy. Texas ice storm etc

But at least the grocery store is open.

At the current state of the art that is where electric trucks, boats, and planes fit. Short runs and frequent charging. IMO electric vehicles are still in their infancy and somewhere in the future they will become much more capable.

Perhaps someone can explain where is the advantage to electrifying everything? Consider motor vehicles only for a while. Horsepower is horsepower whether it comes from fossil fuel or electricity. Electricity has to be generated somehow. There is no conversion system that is 100% efficient. Energy is lost every time. Energy is required to mine the materials needed to make the battery. Is the mining equipment electric? Energy is required to charge the batteries and energy is lost in the charging process. Batteries have a useful lifespan and they have to be replaced at a very high cost. A few hundred mile range for an electric vehicle will not satisfy the average family vacation plans.
In all the clean energy information out there, I see no mention of the electric energy consumed by industry. The amount of horsepower used in all the manufacturing plants has to dwarf the energy used in road travel. Those factories will still be needed to produce the vehicles and all the devices that use electricity that allow civilization to function. Solar panel have about a 20 year life span and so do large windmill electric generators. How many horsepower does it take to manufacture, ship and replace a windmill? I doubt if anyone has calculated the total amount of horsepower used daily in the U.S. alone, let alone the world. How many acres of solar fields and how many windmills would it take to generate that much horsepower on a daily basis. When the sun does not shine or the wind does not blow, then what?

Bob
WB8NQW

Perhaps someone can explain where is the advantage to electrifying everything? Consider motor vehicles only for a while. Horsepower is horsepower whether it comes from fossil fuel or electricity. Electricity has to be generated somehow. There is no conversion system that is 100% efficient. Energy is lost every time. Energy is required to mine the materials needed to make the battery. Is the mining equipment electric? Energy is required to charge the batteries and energy is lost in the charging process. Batteries have a useful lifespan and they have to be replaced at a very high cost. A few hundred mile range for an electric vehicle will not satisfy the average family vacation plans.
In all the clean energy information out there, I see no mention of the electric energy consumed by industry. The amount of horsepower used in all the manufacturing plants has to dwarf the energy used in road travel. Those factories will still be needed to produce the vehicles and all the devices that use electricity that allow civilization to function. Solar panel have about a 20 year life span and so do large windmill electric generators. How many horsepower does it take to manufacture, ship and replace a windmill? I doubt if anyone has calculated the total amount of horsepower used daily in the U.S. alone, let alone the world. How many acres of solar fields and how many windmills would it take to generate that much horsepower on a daily basis. When the sun does not shine or the wind does not blow, then what?

Bob
WB8NQW

Answer is contained within the question. Energy is energy. With electricity us filthy apes come as close as we ever have to that being true and directly applicable. You can generate it any number of ways and then use it for whatever you like after that.

The alleged advantage to electrifying everything is a reduction in CO2 output, which supposedly will reduce the global warming/global cooling/climate change that some claim is caused by mankind releasing carbon into the atmosphere.

As for the intermittency of solar and wind, advocates always point to energy storage which at the current time accounts for only a small percentage of kWh used. If you question them closely they will always point to some new technology which as yet is not widely in use. Using predictions of the future as a solution to current needs is folly indeed.

Doo you naysayers like to see tankers on the road, and pipelines carrying crude oil & fuels ?

Wire don't spill much.

Back