What's new
What's new

New guy looking for first mill

Musky_Hunter

Plastic
Hey gang I am just getting into machining on my own. I haven't used a mill in years and wanted to get back into it. I was looking for a J head Bridgeport when I came across a late 80s Rutland Bridgeport clone. It's a 2HP 3 phase that I planned to convert with VFD. They ways look better than any of the Bridgeports I have found in this price range. Were these mills any good or should I just keep after the Bridgeport? This one was made in Taiwan and looks to be pretty solid but looks don't mean much. Would this be a good starting mill?

Rutland looks like a good Taiwan made mill, if the price and condition are right I would not hesitate. A good starting point and might be all you need for a long time. Cheers!

Rutland looks like a good Taiwan made mill, if the price and condition are right I would not hesitate. A good starting point and might be all you need for a long time. Cheers!

Not sure the price is "right" but in my area it's priced better than some of the other Bridegports that need work or look like they have been abused. This one is listed at 2700 and the closest bridgeport is 3k and looks like it was on the Titanic when it sank. My concern is parts availability if I ever need them.

"Parts?" Not as if it was an F-15 or a B-36, is it?

Bearings - any and all - can usually be had. ANY machine as uses bearings.
Motors, too.
Gears, if need be.

Not much else ON a mill you cannot repair under your own roof, is there?

A(ny) good Taiwanese mill is generally the equal of a BirdPort.
More than a few are BETTER.

They had to be. Sold originally to industry, worldwide. Not hobbyists as with "Mill Drills". BirdPort look-alikes & workalikes actually had to haul-ass to earn their crust.

They did.

Thereafter "condition, condition, condition.."

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure what could go wrong with them. If it's basic stuff like that I feel better about them. That stuff is pretty easy to replace on most of the old stuff I work on.

I went with the Rutland tonight. Seems like a good mill and the seller was a great guy. Answered everything I could think to ask and showed me all the functions. It came with a vice, power feed, dro and collet set. He is going to deliver and I am super excited to get it. Going to clean it up and get started tramming the head and learning as much as I can about her. Really excited to have this new addition to the shop.

Back