What's new
What's new

New Haas door safety

I understand the 'want' to have the ability to run with doors open, but you really need it?

I mean with simulation in cam... single block, op stop...
Not always about cam showing "what its supposed to do", cause whose never had an instance where the posted pg has a error generated during the posting process that wouldn't be shown after the verify/simulation says its "good" (had it happen by a freak chance after a software update, but stopped it with a 1/4" to spare. Pants did not need to be changed thankfully). But still trying to see a .200" dia edgefinder kick in a VF6 or bigger at the back edge of a table sized part, is a PITA (even a 1/2" dia with the clicker flat was a pain with the door closed, also our door glass wasnt the clearest in the world). Plus as a second example from experience. A mazak vtc20 for is a VMC with traveling columb. ie the head moves and the table does not. Iv had pieces clamped to the table that extend out the open door and were supported by jack stands. The parts were programed to not over exert the clamping force of the setup, so no worry of a part moving. This alowed me to run a part that exceeded the envelope of my machine. Had similar issues with a late 80's mazak h630 and the pallet change door (they were the raise to open type door, not the spin with the pallet doors that most horizontals have today). Loaded that machine with a forklift and some fork extenders because the parts could not swing into the machine on the pallet changer, but they could rotate on the B-Axis to be machined to completion.

I do not know how they are doing the newest machines off the factory floor, but turning the set-up key always allows me to run the spindle with the doors open up to 750 RPM. It can be a bit finicky on our NGC machines built in 2018, but still seems to always work. One thing you can do is punch in 750 and then hold the FWD key. If the spindle turns with the FWD key depressed, it should be able to spin with the door open if you get the right key position or parameter set. One thing to caution you on is if you decide to override the door interlock switches, make sure you can do it in a way that can easily be reversed. Haas mandates that a tech inspects the door interlock anytime you call them out to do service, but I don't think any of ours have been checked whenever we have a tech out. If you have a newer machine with proximity switches, the magnet method is probably the easiest way to bypass the door interlock.

Back