What's new
What's new

New Lexan Polycarbonate window cracking ?

McMaster Carr has Sika urethane adhesive rated for salt-water immersion. I use it to bond machine windows in place...no drilling required.

I always make a door glass "sandwich": 3/8" double-layer safety glass on the inside layer of the sandwich, with 3/8" polycarbonate on the outside layer.
Rough up the edges with Scotchbrite and clean thoroughly to help the Sika stick! Glue the polycarb to the inside of the door, then glue the safety glass to the polycarb...

(The door does have to be off the machine for this method.)

Another benefit of using the Sika adhesive is that it remains flexible, which would help absorb the forces of impact to the window...

ToolCat

McMaster Carr has Sika urethane adhesive rated for salt-water immersion. I use it to bond machine windows in place...no drilling required.

I always make a door glass "sandwich": 3/8" double-layer safety glass on the inside layer of the sandwich, with 3/8" polycarbonate on the outside layer.
Rough up the edges with Scotchbrite and clean thoroughly to help the Sika stick! Glue the polycarb to the inside of the door, then glue the safety glass to the polycarb...

(The door does have to be off the machine for this method.)

Another benefit of using the Sika adhesive is that it remains flexible, which would help absorb the forces of impact to the window...

ToolCat

I stopped using gaskets and screws years ago. I grab a tube of 3M polyurethane windshield adhesive from the auto parts store and an 3/16" bead with the window held in place overnight makes a nice job of it. I haven't taken the time to sand anything. Just wipe it down well with grease and wax remover seems to do it for me.

No the window is brand new, and it already looks like hell. I'm using Blaser Synergy 735, I like the coolant because it is perfectly clear and doesn't stink like some coolants do. My front door window is original equipment and still looks great, it's not being affected by the coolant so maybe it's acrylic.

Agree 100% with toolcat. You need 2 layers for safety and long life. Anything else is either dangerous or won't last long. There is a reason OEMs do it that way.

Back